To provide instruction and coach students to develop the skill and ability to excel in the sport assigned; be responsible for contributing to the educational program as a whole and to the growth of each student. Work effectively with coaches at the middle school and high school levels to develop a coordinated, comprehensive, and vertically aligned athletic program. This may include, but is not limited to, attendance at games, working athletic events, etc.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Use a variety of instructional techniques to meet the needs and improve the abilities of student athletes in the sport assigned.
- Manage and supervise athletic activities, contests, and practice sessions to promote individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
- Work with other members of school staff to plan and put in place instructional goals and objectives to ensure the overall educational development of students.
- Establish performance criteria for competition and evaluate students' athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis.
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Keep informed of and ensure compliance with all UIL rules and required UIL trainings.
- Monitor and enforce student eligibility criteria for extracurricular participation.
- Work with the athletic director to schedule competitions and coordinate arrangements.
- Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of coaching program and make improvements based on findings.
- Accompany and supervise student athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports.
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices.
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, as well as any athletic activity on and off school property in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage, by example and through instruction, sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation.
- May be required to transport students in district vehicles.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, administration and teachers.
- Assist in selection of equipment and instructional materials.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required and complete by athletic department deadlines.
- Maintain a current inventory of all fixed assets within program.
- Oversee process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all campus athletic equipment.
- Adhere to all UIL and LISD rules and guidelines.
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of LISD's curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differentiation.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles, interests and needs of students assigned.
- Conduct assessment of student progress and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curriculum as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Work with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to LISD requirements.
- Provide and seek the assistance of LISD specialists as recommended to plan for instruction.
- Help students analyze and improve study methods and habits.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide and seek assistance for students who are consistently performing below grade level.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students, support mission of LISD.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Communicate student strengths and challenges to parents according to campus/district guidelines.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required according to campus/district deadlines established.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Demonstrate regular and prompt attendance to ensure a consistent focus on student learning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Supervise assigned assistant coaches and student athletic assistants.
- Supervise assigned teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s), student teacher(s), intern(s), beginning teacher(s) as needed.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES
- Bachelor's degree in education or related field.
- Valid Texas teaching certificate appropriate to subject and grade level assigned.
- For teachers providing English Language Arts Reading instruction as the teacher of record, ESL certification is required.
- Experience in student teaching, internship, fieldwork, observation and all other placements required by universities or state approved programs for certification. Experience as coach or participant in sport assigned preferred.
- Valid Texas Class “B” CDL (Commercial Driver's License) with Passenger & School Bus endorsements. Driving record must both meet the State's point requirements and the District's standard for driving district vehicles. Must have satisfactory performance in the District's safety training program. Must pass the DOT/District's Physical Examination yearly.
- May be required to be certified in CPR, First Aid, and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) use.
- Knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures for respective sport(s); University Interscholastic League (UIL) rules, assigned subject area; curriculum and instruction strategies; relevant technology; and state, LISD, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Skills in communication, organization, problem-solving, critical thinking and flexibility.
- Ability to instruct and supervise student athletes, present information accurately and clearly; manage multiple priorities and projects.
The essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- May be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during portions of work day.
- Needs to move about inside the classroom or campus to monitor students as necessary.
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Frequent moving of small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
- Occasional requires lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on short-term basis.
- Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit.
- Maintain composure and professionalism at all times.
Apply on company website