12:30 AM - 9:00 PM, weekend rotations
Rated as one of the Top 25 Best Hospitals to Work for in the U.S., the heart of LMC is our 508-bed modern state-of-the-art facility. Winning the prestigious, "Summit Award" from Press Ganey for outstanding patient satisfaction, "Consumer Choice Award" from the National Research Corporation, all contributing to our reputation for giving our patients the highest quality care. Lexington Medical Center was voted one of South Carolina's “Best Places to Work” for 2019!
We are located in heart of the Midlands, right outside of Columbia, SC, and one of the most successful integrated healthcare systems in the Southeast. As the third largest employer in the Midlands, we invite you to be a part of our ongoing success and join our LMC Family.Job Summary
Greets patients and clients who present themselves for services at LMC (Outpatients, Clients, Autologous donors, ER Drug Screens, Occupational Health, Health Reach, Pathology, Medical Day Care, Interview and Assessment). Provides excellent customer service while registering and ordering Laboratory procedures as requested. Obtains all necessary demographic and financial information to complete the registration process to ensure legal and accurate billing and medical records input. Interprets Physician's orders. Collects urine specimens in accordance with procedures established by federal guidelines, including Department of Transportation. Collects payments for services rendered. Instructs patients in the proper collection of Semen, Sputum, Stool, and Urine. Assists Pathologist, and/or Medical Technologist in specimen collection procedures. Serves as liaison between patient, family representative, physician, client and LMC personnel.Minimum Qualifications
•Minimum Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent
•Minimum Years of Experience: 1 Year of experience to become proficient with duties and responsibilities of the position; 6 Months of experience at the Laboratory Clerical Assistant level or equivalent customer service related experience to become proficient with duties and responsibilities of the position.
•Substitutable Education & Experience: None
•Required Certifications/Licensure: None
•Required Training: None
Knowledge and Expertise: 65%
- Receives specimens from technicians, couriers, physicians, outpatients etc. and enters (or locates existing) orders in the L.I.S.
- Maintains complete working knowledge of and follows policies and procedures pertaining to Meditech. Accurately enters billing and insurance data from outside accounts into Meditech Information System.
- Responsible for delivering high quality service for all inquiries (in-house, and outside clients/physicians). This involves giving out test results and alert values to physicians or their appropriate representative, canceling tests, requesting additional data for completion of testing, investigating new or unusual test requests.
- Controls base station for the procurement radio dispatch system. Monitors the stat label printer and dispatches technicians in the most expedient manner possible. Assures that urgent and stat specimens are collected in a timely fashion. Obtains back- up help for technicians when necessary.
- Assist with training and orientation of new employees and students
- Stays abreast of all policy and procedural changes.
- Works assigned hours which are set to meet the need of the department. Assigned hours/shifts include: First shift, Second shift, week-ends, and holidays.
- Locates laboratory orders in the interface (OER) and modifies collection time/date and specimen type, Labels specimens and delivers to appropriate laboratory section.
- Prepares, processes, and stores biologically hazardous specimens in the pre- analytical stages for processing and or storage.
- Collects urine specimens in accordance with procedures established by the Department of Health & Human Services & the Department of Transportation mandatory guidelines for federal and transportation workplace drug testing programs.
- Independently interprets physician's orders and secures the most efficient means of providing the needed service(s).
- Demonstrates competence to provide developmentally appropriate care/treatment for the following patient population: Infant (Birth to 1 year), Child (1 year through 12 years), Adolescent (13 years through 17 years), Adult (18 years to 65 years) and Geriatric (over 65 years).
- Maintains complete working knowledge of and follows policies and procedures pertaining to Sunquest (L.I.S.). Accurately interprets testing orders and enters into SunQuest Information System. Maintains knowledge of down-time and back-up procedures.
- Investigates and resolves invalid billing from daily H.I.S and or L.I.S reports.
- Prepare and/or review bills for outside laboratory accounts.
Duties & Responsibilities
Knowledge and Expertise (continued)
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT coding as it relates to general laboratory operations and Medicare compliance as mandates by the Office of Inspector General.
- Locates test results, print reports and fax or phone reports, assuring that the correct patient is identified, and appropriate reports are obtained.
- Perform test accessioning in the L.I.S and accurately places labels on patient's specimens.
- Effectively prioritize and organize workload in a constantly changing environment to meet daily needs and deadlines.
- Monitor the progress of patients through Day Hospital laboratory and secure extra help to expedite patient service during high traffic periods.
- Works independently and as a team member.
Communication Skills: 10%
- Greets patients and/or representatives in a professional manner to obtain identifying information and billing instructions, and audits registration process for accuracy. Collects payments when necessary.
- Provides detailed instructions to patients and/or representative in the proper collection of Semen, Stool, Sputum and Urine. Gives detailed instructions to patients regarding collection technique, as well as preparations for special procedures.
- Assists clients outside the laboratory with the knowledge and permission of the immediate supervisor or charge person.
Service Excellence Criteria: 10%
- Adapts to changes in the work environment, job situation and job requirements.
- Maintains an optimistic and professional image and exhibits excellent customer relations to patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- File office material and type correspondence.
- Maintain an archive system that facilitates requisition retrieval for a period of 10 years.
- Follows all hospital and laboratory policies.
- Observes proper clock-in and clock-out procedures using the time clock to document time and attendance.
- Complies with all standard safety policies and procedures required by CLIA, CAP, JCAHO, FDA, DHEC and OSHA.
- As required, escorts or transports patients by wheelchair or otherwise, from or to parking areas, or within hospital. Responsible for assuring that patients are escorted to ancillary areas as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
We are committed to offering quality, cost-effective benefits choices for our employees and their families:
- Day ONE medical, dental and life insurance benefits
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Eligible employees may also enroll in LMC's retirement plans on their date of hire, including the South Carolina State Retirement System (SCRS)
- Supplemental 401(k)
- 457(b) retirement plans
- Free life insurance – equal to 1x salary
- Adoption assistance
- 401(K) Match – LMC matches dollar for dollar up to 6%
- LMC provides its full-time employees short-term disability and long-term disability coverage after 90 days of eligible employment
- 529 College Savings
- Tuition reimbursement
- Student loan forgiveness
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of LMC to provide equal opportunity of employment for all individuals, and to remain compliant with applicable state and federal laws and regulations. LMC strives to provide a discrimination-free environment, and to recruit, select, on-board, and employ all employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, or pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, including but not limited to, lactation. LMC endeavors to upgrade and promote employees from within the hospital where possible and consistent with the employee's desires and abilities and the hospital's needs.
Apply on company website