We're a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
At Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals – careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart. Join us and discover why Modern Healthcare Magazine named us in its “Top 100 Places to Work.”
The position is responsible for reviewing and analyzing documentation present in the medical record for inpatient, outpatient and/or professional services to assign diagnoses, procedure(s), and charge codes as described by the physician(s) of record. Position would include clinical co-workers with combined facility and professional coding and charging responsibilities. Abides by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Education: A.S. from an accredited Nursing or Health Information Management program or associated healthcare discipline or commensurate clinical experience.
- Experience: At least 6 years of coding and/or charging experience in ICD-9-CM/ICD-10-CM/PCS diagnoses/procedure coding and/or HCPCS/CPT procedure coding in an acute care or professional service. Working knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology, MS-DRG, APC, or MPFS/RVU payment and facility charging methodologies.
- Certification/Registration: Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPC-H) or Certified Radiology Cardiovascular Coding (CIRCC).
If charge/clinical experience is met, one of the coding certifications must be met or completed within 6 months of employment or transfer.
- Other skills & knowledge:
- Significantly advanced working knowledge and a high level of experience with the ICD-9-CM/ICD-10 CM/PCS and/or CPT/HCPCS coding classification systems, facility department charging, MSDRG's, APC's, MPFS/RVU's, POA's, HACs; dependent upon whether an Inpatient, Outpatient, or Professional Services coder.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, and/or pharmacology.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills, flexibility, as well as the ability to multi-task.
- Preferred Education: B.S. from an accredited Nursing or Health Information Management program or associated healthcare discipline.
- Preferred Experience: 8 or more years of recent clinical, coding/charging or consulting experience in inpatient/outpatient acute care hospital setting and/or professional services.
- Preferred Other skills & knowledge: 3M encoder and Epic system familiarity preferred.
We Offer Great Benefits:
Day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds are just a few of the great benefits offered to eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
We're bringing to life a healing ministry through compassionate care.
At Mercy, our supportive community will be behind you every step of your day, especially the tough ones. You will have opportunities to pioneer new models of care and transform the health care experience through advanced technology and innovative procedures. We're expanding to help our communities grow. Join us and be a part of it all.
What Makes You a Good Match for Mercy?
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We're also collaborative and unafraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that's just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply.
Apply on company website