A Day in the Life of a Mechanical Supervisor
Please watch this 2-minute video description for more detail about the Mechanical Trainee position
Mechanical supervisors efficiently and effectively lead world-class teams ranging from roughly 8-25 skilled laborers constructing, repairing, and maintaining locomotives and rail cars. During training, you will learn how to conduct inspections and repairs at the component level on both locomotives and railcars. You will become familiar with the compliance standards of NS, the Association of American Railroads (AAR) and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA). You will also learn about various process improvement efforts throughout Norfolk Southern. After a six-month training program that includes classroom training, on the job supervisory training, and specific engineering project work, you will be promoted to one of three managerial tracks at a locomotive shop, freight car repair facility, or a system assignment.
If you are looking for a fast-paced environment where no two days are the same, this could be an amazing start to your Norfolk Southern career.
What Makes a Successful Mechanical Supervisor?
- Ability to prioritize and make decisions
- Ability to troubleshoot problems as they occur
- Previous leadership experience either in a classroom or work environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and the ability to learn new/proprietary programs
- Willingness to relocate and/or travel as needed
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Knowledge and maintenance experience of engines and machinery a plus
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's/Master's degree
- Preferred Degree Paths: Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, or similar field of study
- Willing to relocate anywhere throughout our 22 state network
- Environment: Field/Machine Shop
- On-Call: Yes
- Weekend Work: Yes
- Shift Work: Yes
- Travel Required: up to 4 trips per year after initial training program
New Headquarters – Atlanta, GA
Norfolk Southern is in the process of constructing a vibrant & modern corporate HQ in Midtown Atlanta, GA. Our HQ is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2021. To check out a sneak peek, we've linked a playlist below.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers.
We are a team of more than 20,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation." As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation and, gender identity. Together, we power progress. More information can be found at NS-EEO
Don't just work here, Thrive here.
Apply on company website