Requisition 15186: Senior Data Scientist #LI-NM1
Senior Data Scientist
(Machine Learning or Computer Vision)
Who we are and what we do:
• The AI and Data Science team is centralized across the entire organization.
• We work with various product teams across various business units to define high-impact business problems, solve them using novel techniques, and execute and monitor them throughout their lifecycle.
• Most of our models make it to production, they never sit in a research lab. But we also do quite a bit of research to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies/algorithms.
• We are very collaborative, you will likely get lots of ideas from the team.
What kind of problems do we solve:
• There are high-frame cameras beside our tracks, capturing images of trains and rail cars as they pass. We design various Deep Learning and Computer Vision algorithms to detect certain objects of interest or issues and defects. We then optimize their performance and deploy them at the edge for real-time scoring and notification of our mechanical personnel upon detections.
• Our locomotives stream 350+ sensor information in real-time. We create predictive models to predict various component failures hours, days, and sometimes months in advance.
• Want to learn more? Apply today!
What tools do we use:
• We use Python, R, and Spark (PySpark, SparkR, Scala) for modeling and EDA.
o You will have a local machine with 512GB of memory, so feel free to load the data in memory if it makes sense or if it fits (!)
• You will also have terabytes of memory in our Spark cluster that is not shared by anyone.
• We use Jupyter notebook, Emacs, PyCharm, Rstudio as IDEs.
• We use Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, and MXNet for Deep Learning, and OpenCV for traditional Computer Vision.
o You will have your own dedicated GPU (!) in addition to a GPU cluster to run parallel training and inference jobs.
• We always have the latest versions of our tools/packages/libraries available.
What are our requirements:
• Master's or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Machine Learning, Statistics or related field, or Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of industry experience
• Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant industry experience (as a Data Scientist, Research Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer, Computer Vision Scientist, etc.), 3+ preferred; or proven qualifications.
• Hands-on and theoretical knowledge of various Machine Learning algorithms and tools, e.g. xgboost/LightGBM, Random Forests, SVMs, PCA, t-sne, kmeans, DBSCAN, etc. or hands-on and theoretical knowledge of various Deep Learning algorithms and frameworks for Localization, Segmentation, Object Detection, etc.
• Expertise with Time Series problems is a plus
• Excellent knowledge of Python and/or R, knowledge of Spark is a plus
What will be your duties:
• Effectively utilize appropriate statistical, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Computer Vision models and techniques to solve various business problems
• Collaborate with various departments to identify opportunities for process improvement and developing analytics use-cases.
• Provide guidance, support and mentoring to junior team members.
• Evaluate accuracy and quality of data sources, as well as the designed models
• Stays up to date with the latest models and changes in the technology
• Design and develop (almost) production ready code.
• Communicate results to colleagues and business partners.
• Coordinate with application development teams to integrate developed models with existing applications.
New Headquarters – Atlanta, GA
Norfolk Southern is in the process of constructing a vibrant & modern corporate HQ in Midtown Atlanta, GA. Our HQ is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2021. To check out a sneak peek, we've linked a playlist below.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers.
We are a team of more than 20,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation." As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation and, gender identity. Together, we power progress.
Don't just work here, Thrive here.
Apply on company website