Position must be posted for a minimum of 10 days
DEFINITION: Under the direction of a Principal, organize, coordinate and administer assigned programs and activities related to student discipline, attendance and instruction at an assigned school; assist the Principal with administrative duties involving student conduct, curriculum development and school plant operations as assigned; supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to accurately reflect the assistant principal job elements) All of the functions listed below are essential.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, implement and participate in programs and activities related to the operation of an assigned school, including instruction, student discipline and other programs; enforce applicable State and District codes, policies and laws; administer District and school site discipline policies and safety programs.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties to assist the Principal in managing the school; assume the duties of the Principal as assigned.
- Assist with supervision and evaluation of the performance of designated certificated and/or classified personnel; assign duties to faculty and staff as appropriate to meet school objectives; assist with recruiting, interviewing and selecting new faculty and staff.
- Assist with development and administration of disciplinary procedures in accordance with District policies and State laws; receive referrals and confer with students, parents, teachers and community agencies; respond to and resolve parent, student and staff complaints; serve on discipline or expulsion panels as assigned.
- Supervise students on campus before and after school; monitor students during lunch, recess and other activities; discipline students according to established guidelines.
- Establish, coordinate and maintain communication with community and parent groups; attend and conduct a variety of meetings and events; develop correspondence to promote school activities and achievements.
- Assist in monitoring and organizing attendance functions; prepare letters and call parents as needed regarding absent or tardy students.
- Provide direction to a variety of faculty, staff and student programs and services; participate in informal and formal classroom visitations and observations; provide recommendations and suggestions as appropriate.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of District, County, State and federally mandated records and reports regarding student attendance, discipline, cumulative records and academic achievement.
- Provide direction to the school's guidance and counseling services, school attendance issues and plant maintenance; assure programs and services meet established objectives and requirements.
- Assure the health, safety and welfare of students.
- Operate a computer and a variety of office equipment.
- Assist with monitoring the school budget; order supplies as needed; manage student body accounts as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Any combination equivalent to: Masters degree and four years of classroom teaching experience. Must hold a California Teaching Credential and be eligible to receive a California Administrative Services Credential
- Comprehensive organization, activities, goals and objectives of an assigned elementary school
- School law administration, applicable sections of the State Education Code and other applicable laws
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment
- Instructional standards and faculty requirements
- Board and District policies, procedures and regulations
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Oral and written communication skills
- Basic computer operation
- Public speaking techniques
- Organize, coordinate and administer assigned programs and activities related to student discipline, attendance and instruction at an assigned elementary school
- Assist the Principal with administrative duties involving student conduct, curriculum development and school plant operations as assigned
- Direct, evaluate and supervise assigned certificated and/or classified staff
- Oversee activities regarding personnel, the physical plant, student services and activities, curriculum and instruction
- Prepare and deliver oral presentations
- Establish, coordinate and maintain communication with community and parent groups
- Assist with the implementation, evaluation and modification of instructional and categorical programs in accordance with applicable laws
- Plan and organize work.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Complete work with many interruptions
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Understand and resolve issues, complaints or problems
- Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Maintain records and prepare reports
- Monitor students
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of age, creed, sex, race, ethnic background, marital or veteran status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or religion.
Apply on company website