Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryReceives, documents, packages, sterilizes, stores and or issues instruments equipment and supplies for patient care. May serve as departmental charge person in the absence of management. Understands and interprets policies and procedures to achieve quality products. In addition to the Sterile Processing responsibities, the CST must also be able to assist in the care of patients of all ages before, during and after surgical procedures by performing scrub duties and related functions as a member of the surgical team on a novice to advanced beginner level completing identified job competencies. Maintains patient safety, privacy and confidentiality. Complies with legal aspects of patient care. Complies with sterilization standards and standards for handling sharps or contaminated instruments. Participates in quality improvement activities and completes hospital required education annually.
- Receives, sorts, disassembles and processes contaminated instruments using the procedures and guidelines as established by Infection Control. 15%
- Assembles all instrument sets following prescribed manner and as outlined on the Instrument Count Sheets. Properly documents missing items from the set and labels sets correctly. Takes action to correct problems with instrument sets and reports any unresolved issues. 15%
- Sterilizes instruments, equipment, linen and supplies using various types of autoclaves and aerators. Loads autoclaves in prescribed manner and sets controls to correct specifications for the items being sterilized. Completes appropriate documentation prior to sterilization and post-sterilization. 15%
- Properly documents all activities related to instrument set assembly and sterilization in the Instrument Tracking System, (SPM) or established manual systems. 15%
- Assumes responsibility of department in absence of Manager and Coordinator. Is expected to prioritize tasks, coordinate and assign staff to ensure adequate coverage in each work area. Reports inappropriate employee behavior to supervisors or manager. 5%
- Observe and interpret biological, mechanical and chemical monitors relevant to processing/sterilizing. Record results and maintains required records. Initiates recalls as required. 5%
- Issues items to customers and departments according to established procedures. 5%
- Assists in investigation of problem areas or complaints concerning Intra and Inter departmental operations. 5%
- Assist with cleaning and maintenance of department equipment. Reports equipment requiring repair as needed. 5%
- Act as preceptor for new staff. Assists with staff training and or orientation to new technology or equipment as requested. Works with Sterile Processing Manager in developing quality monitors, inservice and orientation programs. Observes and reports to supervisor, any unfamiliar items with or without appropriate processing literature. Is self directed and intervenes with corrections to variances in the processing practice. 5%
- Maintains all responsibilities included in the CST Level I Job Description including completing annual 15 hours of ST continuing education between Jan 1st - Dec. 1st each year. 10%
- Job related course work beyond high school - Diploma in Surgical Technology
Experience as a Surg Tech or Sterile Processing Tech is preferred
- Certification with NBSTSA Or NCCT certification accepted if ST was employed as a ST in S.C. prior to January 1, 2008 or completed a ST military training program.
In Lieu Of The Minimum Requirements Listed Above
In lieu of the education requirement only, must be current with mandatory 15 hours annually of ST continuing education AND either have been employed as a ST in S.C. prior to Jan. 1, 2008 OR have completed a ST military training program
Other Required Sills and Experience
- Experience with Sterrad, Steam and ETO sterilization - Required
- Knowledge of Decontamination, Assembly, Packaging and Sterilization Procedures - Required
- Completes 15 hours of mandatory ST education annually. - Required
Work ShiftVariable (United States of America)
LocationOconee Medical Campus
Facility1064 Oconee Memorial Hospital
Department10648007 Central Sterile
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website