Tetra Tech International Development Services, headquartered in Arlington, VA is currently accepting expressions of interest from qualified Gender Advisor candidates for the Integrated Land and Resource Governance (ILRG) program.
Position Description/Summary: ILRG requires a long-term dynamic gender specialist in the land and resource governance sector with the ability to engage effectively with senior government officials, as well as customary leaders on land governance issues in Malawi. The Gender Advisor will provide leadership on the integration of gender throughout the two-year ILRG Malawi activity and will support partner organizations and government to enhance gender equality, women's empowerment, and women's land and resource tenure security. The Gender Advisor will ensure that the program integrates gender and social inclusion throughout the implementation of the activity. The ILRG project is supporting land administration in customary areas of Malawi; collaborating with government to build internal capacity as well as the capacity of chiefdoms and civil society organizations through technical assistance on land documentation processes and data management; advancing women's economic empowerment; and engaging with government on inclusive land and resource policy and law. While activities will be undertaken in different parts of Malawi, this position will be located in the main office in Lilongwe, with frequent trips to a Traditional Land Management Area to be decided.
* Applying USAID's and the Government of Malawi's gender policies, and ILRG's gender strategy, as well as constitutional, regional and international human rights standards to statutory and customary land tenure systems;
* Drafting a gender strategy across all project activities in Malawi that promotes gender equality and women's meaningful participation in allocation and governance of land delimitation process;
* Developing and adapting gender mainstreaming tools and training materials for the project;
* Creating tools and channels to effectively communicate lessons learned on gender to project stakeholders;
* Providing quality assurance/quality control of all ILRG Malawi gender deliverables;
* Providing leadership, direction, and capacity-building to the project's partners and consultants on gender equality and women's empowerment;
* Maintaining relationships with Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development and the Land Reform Implementation Unit, as well as with traditional authorities;
* Working with relevant stakeholders to provide gender responsive inputs into land documentation manuals, legal reform and implementation, as relevant;
* Participating in the preparation of work plans that define the activities to be carried out under the project, of progress reports that update the client on project implementation, and of all other applicable project deliverables defined in the contract;
* Collecting information and evidence on women's secure land tenure and women's economic empowerment throughout the activity, drafting learning and communications materials;
* Ensuring that data and information are timely and acuratly collected and submitted according to Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning plans;
* Ensuring that contractual obligations are met and that annual work plans are being successfully implemented;
* Meeting with USAID/Malawi client as needed;
* Collaborating closely and communicating frequently with ILRG global Gender Advisor and team;
* Representing project in country at conferences, seminars, and other professional meetings as needed.
* MSc/PhD in one or more of the following: land, natural resource management, international development, gender studies, anthropology/sociology, database management, or GIS.
* At least 10 years of relevant technical experience within the above technical area.
* At least 5 years of program management experience.
* Previous experience with USAID programs is desirable.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and team building skills.
* Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work in multicultural environment.
* Ability to represent the program with high-level government officials and customary authorities is required.
* Only candidates who are eligible to work in Malawi for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position.
Apply on company website