Tetra Tech's High-Performance Buildings Group brings together the expertise of talented engineers, commissioning agents, and energy analysts from around the world. We offer high-end, sustainable building consulting and MEP engineering services for blue-chip clients across every building sector. Our services include MEP design, Net Zero Energy, lighting design, commissioning, vertical transportation, low voltage, information technologies, security, fire engineering, sustainability consulting, and acoustics. We are Better Together—Powered by Innovation.
Glumac, A Tetra Tech Company, is a leader in Sustainable Design. Our mission is to engineer and commission “green buildings that work.”
The built environment is responsible for nearly 40% of annual global CO2 emissions. The task of delivering a sustainable future that is climate-resilient and socially equitable begins at the building scale. At Glumac, our fully integrated MEP, Energy Analysis, Sustainability, Commissioning, Technology, and Lighting teams are working together to meet that goal and deliver a sustainable future.
We look for people who want to join us in stepping boldly toward the challenge of reducing the carbon output of buildings through intelligent, data-driven building design. Our world-class design teams have delivered a growing portfolio of net-zero energy and net-zero water buildings across market sectors and are working to decarbonize the building stock of some of the largest companies and universities in the world. Glumac is a place where you can apply your passion and make a tangible impact on the communities we live in.
The challenge is steep, but the opportunities are endless. Join us!
Glumac is seeking a Lighting Engineer or Lighting Designer.
The Glumac Lighting Studio collaborates across all Glumac offices on projects, working with many different clients and design styles providing electrical lighting and daylighting designs to clients at all levels of project participation from design assist to full project design-bid-build involvement. Lighting Designers come from lighting design and architectural backgrounds meaning our projects not only fit the quantitative needs of projects but fit the qualitative and aesthetic design goals.
Sustainable design is at the forefront of all of our lighting design projects. The Glumac Lighting Design Studio takes a broad approach to building performance encompassing occupant experience and resource efficiency. We create aesthetically pleasing, cost-effective, and practical solutions that fit within the defined budget. We prioritize the use of energy-efficient technologies and applications while scrutinizing emerging technologies before recommending them.
Glumac lighting designers are members of the IESNA, IALD, are LEED AP's, and Lighting Certified (LC) by the National Council on Qualifications for Lighting Professionals. We offer expertise in lighting design and in-depth coordination with other disciplines. Along the way, our designers can provide expressive conceptual sketches and renderings as well as detailed computer models developing the necessary pieces of the design. Lighting designers also coordinate mock-ups, on-site aiming, and controls programming. We look for genuinely passionate people that can thrive in a collaborative environment, care deeply about sustainability, and are not afraid of bringing new engineering innovations to building projects.
This role will entail:
- Responsible for electric lighting, daylighting, and lighting controls design.
- Available to attend in office or job site meetings as required within the Portland area. Expected to be about 2 hours per week.
- Works with the design team to select appropriate light fixtures for project with respect to cost, performance, and aesthetics.
- Manage Clients, lighting project scope, design resources, and deliverables to meet project budget.
- Produces renderings using pictures and software manipulation tools to create conceptual lighting images.
- Hand sketches to show lighting intent, installation methods, and overall look.
- Experience in luminaire construction, design, maintenance, efficiency, and optical characteristics.
- Experience with the basics of architecture, interior design, and landscape architecture and construction.
- Proficient in researching and articulating concepts with white papers, reports, and memos.
- Prepares Energy Code Compliance documentation for the lighting portions of the project.
- Strong verbal, written, and graphic communication skills for both internal and external clients.
- Client communication is critical to explain and direct lighting designs with our architectural clients.
- Must constantly coordinate with the Project Manager.
- Prepares design layouts, fixture schedules, specifications, and calculations with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals of sustainable design criteria such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building Standards, and Biophilia.
- Knowledge in landscaping materials and outdoor environments such as dirt, plants, paving systems, saltwater/air, corrosive chemical environments, etc., and how they will interact with all lighting components.
- Understands and designs high-demand spaces such as theatre, sports facilities, high-end retail, etc.
- Understanding of the physiology and psychology of the human visual system and designs using their understanding of how it functions with lighting.
- Understanding of the details of every light source and its benefits and drawbacks in almost any given situation.
- Attends national conferences and seminars ranging from electric and daylighting design, to photobiology, to product innovation and sustainable practices.
- Has a working knowledge of major light fixture manufacturers, industry trends in lighting, and continues to grow and keep up to date in the field.
- Can perform daylighting design including running calculations, shadow studies, considering thermal implications, glare, health impacts, façade details, etc.
- Can balance aesthetic design, energy design, health, psychological benefits, etc., as they relate to each individual project, client, climate, etc.
- Strong comprehension of how lighting integrates with all trades including MEP and architecture by understanding where the various parts are placed and how they will interact and coordinate with each other.
- Responsible for the lighting control intent and control specifications in conjunction with project Electrical Engineer.
- Organizes and facilitates design meetings, site visits and mock-ups with Clients.
Relationship to Others
- Works directly with various project engineers, per assignment.
- Works closely with drafting staff and electrical designers assigned to the project.
- Builds a strong relationship with Glumac Project managers, electrical designers and the entire lighting design team.
- Keeps current with lighting representatives to know what products are emerging, existing, industry trends, etc.
- Shares knowledge with others by serving as a constant contributor to the lighting team.
What You Bring – Qualifications
Impact, Innovation, and Inclusivity should be core values. The qualifications you bring include:
- Has at least 0-5 years lighting design experience.
- Electrical PE license for Lighting Engineer position.
- Design degree or equivalent in design experience.
- Lighting Certification preferred.
- Expertise utilizing Revit and AutoCAD programs.
- Strong Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Bluebeam.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and AGI32.
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth knowledge of construction processes.
About Glumac, A Tetra Tech Company
Glumac is a globally recognized leader in sustainable building design. With more than 50 years of experience in Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Energy Analysis, Sustainability Consulting, and Building Commissioning, we operate at the forefront of sustainability in the built environment and are looking for people to join our ever-growing global team.
Working within the Tetra Tech family of companies provides Glumac access to knowledge, resources, and experience from a diverse group of engineering experts in a broad range of practices, allowing us to deliver best-in-class service and design to clients worldwide. The technical expertise, cutting-edge thought leadership, and a near-century of combined experience shared throughout Tetra Tech uniquely positions Glumac to meet any client need.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world and 21,000 employees. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
With Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting http://www.tetratech.com/en/benefits.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.glumac.com, www.tetratech.com, and https://www.tetratech.com/en/markets/high-performance-buildings. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at https://www.glumac.com/careers/#open-positions or www.tetratech.com/careers.
We thank all applicants for your interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties, including but not limited to, women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech's core values. Throughout our history, the company has prioritized the equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, and any other characteristics protected by the law. We invite resumes from all interested parties. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects we are currently working on.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor, and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No calls or agencies.Additional Information
- Organization: 150 GTT
Apply on company website