Job DescriptionThe Transwestern companies together comprise a privately held, diversified real estate services, investment management and development organization.
A unique approach underlies our success. We do business differently by empowering our team members with the resources and independence to deliver extraordinary results to our clients. It's simple. We start with hiring hard-working, smart, genuinely good people, and organize them in collaborative cross-functional teams. We give them the support to outperform and the freedom to take ownership as they work to exceed our clients' expectations. We do business differently, and that makes us Transwestern.
The Chief Engineer is responsible for working directly with the property and engineering management in implementing and maintaining the energy management, preventive maintenance, quality standards, operating objectives, and goals of the owner and Transwestern (TW). This must be done in a manner that not only protects, but also maximizes the value of the property.
It is the policy of TW that the highest possible professional standards be maintained at all times when you perform your assigned duties and responsibilities. Our success as a business is directly related to the quality of the services that we provide. In the performance of your duties as a Chief Engineer as described below, you are accountable for all of your actions.
Your contact with tenants, prospective tenants, owners, and vendors is to be guided by the highest professional standards including positive, supportive, friendly behavior and legendary service.
- Supervise facilities maintenance staff, including hiring, training, personnel development, reviews, etc.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with internal/external customers and facilities.
- Recommend/implement improvements for the preventive maintenance program on an on-going basis.
- Develop/maintain effective building-specific maintenance and safety procedure manuals and enforce compliance.
- Implement, supervise and ensure quality assurance for facility services contractors including (janitorial, food services, building maintenance, security, landscaping, service technicians, etc.
- Perform all plumbing, electrical or HVAC requirements of the building(s).
- Maintain heaters, chillers, pumps, fan coil units, etc.
- Monitor and adjust all mechanical/pneumatic equipment, control gauges, distributor panels, valves, thermostats, diffusers and other equipment necessary to provide a comfortable environment for the buildings.
- Inspect engine room equipment, fan room equipment, cooling tower, all motors, house pumps and sump pumps.
- Document and report activities.
- Troubleshoot, evaluate and make recommendations to upgrade maintenance operations and/or implement savings opportunities.
- Possess competent knowledge of the use and care of tools and equipment used in facility and ground maintenance.
- Respond immediately to emergency situations and customer concerns.
- Inspect buildings, ground and equipment for unsafe or malfunctioning conditions. Inspect new installation for compliance with building codes and safety regulations.
- Maintain and operate life safety/fire systems.
- Comply with all applicable codes, regulations, governmental agency and Company directives as related to building operations and practice safe work habits.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- EPA refrigerant certification required
- Minimum 5 years building engineering/facilities management experience with significant supervisory responsibility
- Appropriate license/permit for trade as may be required, i.e. Journeyman or Master Electrician License or City Licenses
- Must possess basic computer skills, ability to operate Windows based software
- Argus and Paging System knowledge preferred
- Must have a thorough understanding of HVAC, electrical and building automation systems
- Ability to interpret mechanical and electrical blueprints and schematics
- Must be able to handle multiple projects and changing priorities
- Strong customer service orientation
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Strong desire to succeed in an entrepreneurial environment
- Stooping, standing, climbing and frequent lifting of a minimum of 50 lbs. of equipment (pump, tools, ladders) and ability to safely install rigging/lifting device
- Maybe required to work extended periods of time without relief when responding to priority/emergency situations (including overtime type assignments)
- May require shift work and/or on-call duty
LOCATIONDes Moines, IA
APPLY TODAY to be a part of an energetic and motivated team of professionals!
Transwestern offers an exciting work environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits, which include medical, dental and vision coverage, as well as a 401(K) plan. Transwestern is an equal opportunity employer. No agencies or phone calls please.
Apply on company website