GENERAL SUMMARY & SCOPE
This critical role will lead a team focused on supporting our Merchandise Planning & Inventory partners by operationalizing critical processes through industry-leading systems and analytics. The Director, Merchandise Operations Systems will lead managers as well as individual contributors. This role is responsible for functional expertise and thought leadership in support of the development and execution of the systems strategy and vision for Merchandising, Planning, and Inventory Management at Ulta Beauty. Scope will also include managing day to day operations of the department, leading and/or overseeing multiple or large scale cross-functional projects, developing ROIs/business cases, establishing and adhering to budgets, and driving accountability for systems adoption and stability. This role is critical to ensuring the right systems are in place to optimize our assortments and inventory levels in conjunction with our planning/forecasting efforts. Develop a data-centric approach that increases trust and confidence throughout the enterprise in regards to the effectiveness of our systems. In addition to Merchandising and MP&I, this position will work with a number of critical functions at Ulta including IT, Supply Chain, HR, Finance/Accounting, and Merch Ops.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Functional Expertise & Thought Leadership: Merchandising, Planning, & Inventory Systems
- Enterprise subject matter expert on how we are leveraging systems to optimize our assortments and how we are driving overall inventory health/managing our inventory levels to drive sales while minimizing risk and reducing lost sales
- Strategic partner and thought leader to Merchandise Planning & Inventory and Merchandising functions regarding core Merchandising, Planning, & Inventory systems
- Identify and provide recommendations for system enhancements and solutions that drive stability that align with critical business needs and the company's strategic roadmap
- Partner with IT to ensure the core Merch/MP&I systems and supporting infrastructure are working as expected and meeting the businesses expectations
People Management, Coaching & Development
- Accountable for the direct management/leadership of the Merchandise Operations Systems team including interviewing, performance reviews, workload prioritization, role definition, etc.
- Manage ongoing development of team through setting clear goals/expectations, providing regular and effective coaching, and communicating open/honest feedback
Leading Enterprise Initiatives/Project Management
- Direct tactical and strategic initiatives/projects including the development of comprehensive project plans, definition and tracking/reporting of success criteria, managing budgets and changes in project scope, identifying potential issues, and developing contingency plans
- Build ROIs/business cases to understand and communicate benefits of various projects/initiatives
- Lead organization through systems implementations, enhancements, upgrades, and critical stabilization efforts by managing system administration, and the development/adherence to best practices and adoption/change management
- Proactively plan and regularly communicate updates to key stakeholders in partnership with business sponsors and project teams
- Oversee the coordination and facilitation of UAT (testing) and training with user community
Driving Systems Stability and Adoption
- Provide and continuously develop governance to ensure ongoing systems and process adoption
- Ongoing measurement of systems stability, data accuracy, and processes that drive efficiencies for the organization and the partners we support
- Minimum of 10 years direct work experience in leading the development and implementation of Merchandising/Merchandise Planning and Inventory systems, either on the IT or business side
- Proven experience in building merchandising technology roadmaps and translating business requirements into technical requirements
- Omni-Channel experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years management/supervisory experience
- Extensive experience in multiple and/or large scale enterprise projects including systems implementations within the context of a retail environment or commensurate business experience
- Deep functional expertise in Merchandise Planning & Inventory best practices and proven success operationalizing core/foundational retail processes through systems and analytics
- Retail business background with strong process and systems acumen
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited academic institution
- Adaptable to shifting priorities, demands and timelines while using analytical, data-driven problem solving capabilities
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to work effectively cross-functionally, including upper management, project team and other departments within the organization
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high pressure environment
SPECIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills with both the business and IT to design, develop and implement solutions, both near and long term
- Strong presentation skills
- Possesses the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change and gain buy-in from key stakeholders
- Builds expert knowledge in our industry and conveys knowledge to others. Understands and supports “Best in Class” standards
- Develops and mentors dedicated cross functional team
- Working knowledge of the following systems is a plus: JDA Enterprise Planning, Manhattan SWIFT – Forecasting & Replenishment, JDA Allocation, and JDA Floor & Space Planning
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects.
- Capability to participate in training sessions, presentations and meetings.
- Travel <10% of the time (Stores, meetings, conferences, training)
Apply on company website