GENERAL SUMMARY & SCOPE
The Energy & Sustainability Manager will be responsible for supporting Energy Management and Sustainability efforts by facilitating daily initiatives to optimize utility consumption and reduce operating expenses. This role will have a significant impact on reducing utility consumption, waste generation and limit the environmental impact of operations across the enterprise.
Utilize strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities while supporting the Energy Management program and vendor network to optimize energy usage in all Ulta Beauty locations including store, distribution center and corporate buildings. At the same time, maximize comfort for guests and associates while optimizing equipment operation.
Execute the sustainability strategy in a coordinated effort with the Corporate Social Responsibility committee, while supporting key decision making in regard to the environmental and utility programs. Support the development efforts of greenhouse gas (GHG) reporting for retail stores, supply chain and corporate locations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the current carbon emissions reporting process for the organization including Scope I and II emissions, while expanding the report and including Scope III as the Sustainability program evolves. Also, play a key role in the development process of emission reduction targets for Stores and DC's in go forward years.
- Work with industry experts and third-party vendors to execute Ulta's renewable energy strategy, including procurement of renewable energy credits, landlord solar power purchase agreements and potential green tariff opportunities.
- Support the company's recycling program for all retail stores, supply chain and corporate environments while improving trash diversion rates and reducing expenses.
- Manage a database of energy consumption data by location with weather normalized data, along with any attributes such as projects, EMS vendors, and square footage in order to accurately track performance and identify consumption anomalies with the specific goal of creating efficiencies and reducing operating costs across the enterprise.
- Oversee relationships with utility companies and function as the main point of contact.
- Facilitate the new store utility transfer process including completing necessary utility applications, service agreements, deposit approvals and billing exceptions while functioning at the main contact for a third-party utility vendor who assists with the process.
- Support the organization with identifying and resolving utility emergency situations that directly impact the store environment and guest experience.
- Review and troubleshoot equipment alarms in partnership with the Repairs team to proactively mitigate excess energy usage and resolve mechanical issues while maximizing store comfort and optimizing equipment operation.
- Support the new fixture review process, which will identify the optimal lighting and power components to lower production costs, maintenance expense, and energy efficiency while increasing reliability in all retail stores.
- Facilitate the replacement and ordering of failed EMS parts and ensure warranty provisions are upheld.
- In a joint effort with the Accounting department, support the current deposit recovery process to ensure appropriate amounts are paid and recovery is achieved when the opportunity is presented in order to increase capital inflows for the enterprise.
- Compare Ulta's energy program with data from federal agencies such as the US EPA and DOE and trade organizations such as RILA's Energy Management committee.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders including store operations, loss prevention, procurement, and supply chain on developing more sustainable, yet cost-effective business operations which will directly impact the process of building an industry wide reputation for the enterprise as being a sustainable retailer.
- Monitor the energy team email box and respond to requests for support on new and existing store EMS issues; including purchase order requests, part shipment notifications, and EMS alarm notifications.
- Work with the Communications Department in order to develop and communicate monthly Ulta Green Tips posted on the UltaNet and other relevant news relating to energy or Sustainability initiatives.
- Participate in Energy and Sustainability industry events in order to benchmark program progress with other retail organizations and achieve recognition to ensure a best in class Energy Management and Sustainability program.
- Open, review and act upon all utility service related mail that is sent to the Energy Team from corresponding utility companies.
- Ability to support the vision strategy and account plan
- Identify relevant data (financial, environmental, performance) to achieve goals
- Takes corrective action quickly and decisively when performance falls short of expectation or when redirection is required
- Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred
- 3-7 years of energy management experience
- 3-7 years of utility or retail industry experience
- 3-7 years of experience working with Energy Management Systems
- Knowledge of HVAC and lighting/electrical equipment operation a plus
- Experience in a retail based maintenance environment a plus
- Ability to work successfully in a team atmosphere
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to gather, evaluate and summarize data
- Ability to manage repetitive tasks and detailed information, while considering the big picture strategy and impacts to other processes and people
- Intermediate knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint skills required; knowledge of Access a plus
- Travel 10% per year
- Normal office demands
Apply on company website