Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario) Multiple positions available in community and share care buildings! Schedule: Evenings, Weekends Are you looking for a rewarding career in your community? VON is a registered charity that helps people to live in the comfort of their homes and community.
New PSW grads and Nursing students who have completed their second year, are encouraged to apply!
Why work at VON?
- Excellent total rewards package including group benefits and generous vacation allowance
- Comprehensive orientation program
- Mentoring opportunities
- Mileage reimbursement and a work cell phone for front-line staff
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) provides personal support and homemaking services to clients and their families. This role requires an individual with excellent assessment and communication skills, the ability to work effectively with both clients and their families, knowledge of community resources, the ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team as well as independently.
This position is eligible for the temporary $3.00 per hour wage enhancement from the Ontario Government for all hours spent directly caring for clients.
- Evaluates current personal support care plan and contributes to the development of the care plan; implements changes to plan if required and advises supervisor accordingly
- Reports any changes in the client's or family's personal support needs or home situation
- Performs personal support tasks reflecting the needs of the client and family such as: light cleaning, meal prep, laundry, shopping, maintain and monitor household safety
- Provides personal care as directed by the Program Manager or immediate supervisor, including assisting the client in daily activities (eating, dressing, etc) and other personal hygiene needs
- Completes daily call checks, and other forms as required, to maintain the effective and efficient operation of the personal and home support service.
- Assesses the client's pattern of communication and ability to relate.
- Communicates with appropriate members of the health team regarding the management of the client's or family's homemaking, physical, and emotional needs.
- Organizes each day's activities, setting priorities for personal support and other activities under the direction an immediate supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Certificate in Home Support Worker (Level I, II, III), Personal Support Worker program or Health Care Aide is required
- First Aid / CPR certification is required
- Previous experience working with elderly, children or providing treatment to clients
- Must have vehicle transportation; this includes a valid Ontario Driver's License and vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Must be able to wear PPE
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website