Description Position at Victorian Order of Nurses for Canada Ontario Branch
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Program Name: Assisted Living
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 37.5
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Nights, Including Weekends
On Call: No
The Personal/Home Support Worker provides personal support and homemaking services to clients and families within the framework of VON policies, procedures, standards. The PSW/HSW collaborates with members of the health care team in meeting the needs of clients to attain an optimal level of independence and wellbeing.
The successful candidate will collaborate with other health care team members where and when appropriate. At all times, they will follow an established plan of care and delegation of procedures that meets the needs of the individual and family.
PSWs hired for VON Middlesex-Elgin may be required to work in multiple programs.
- Personal Support Worker certification or Developmental Services Worker diploma or
- HSWII, HSWII and HCAs (equivalent to HSWIII) education completion is mandatory
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches course completion an asset
- Fundamentals of Palliative Care - Level I completion is preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- Pediatric experience is an asset
- Household management experience
- Experience working with elderly or ill individuals
- Awareness of community resources
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbal
- Good assessment skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website