Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Program Name: Home Support
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 37.5
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: SEIU
On Call: No
Location(s): Port Franks, Grand Bend, Forest, Thedford and Camlachie
You will be responsible for providing companionship, personal care and health maintenance services to clients in their home or throughout the community within the framework of VON's philosophy, policies, standards and legislation. You will work with members of the Health Care and Personal Support Teams to meet the needs of clients in obtaining an optimal level of independence and well-being.
This position is eligible for the temporary $3.00 per hour wage enhancement from the Ontario Government for all hours spent directly caring for clients.
Foreign Registered Nurses, who are waiting for CNO registration and PSW students, who are about to graduate are welcome to apply.
- Observe the individual/family home and personal situation continuously to determine any need for change in personal support or professional assistance
- Contribute to the development of the personal support care plan, in conjunction with the Supervisor
- Implement the care plan, including:
- Promoting self care and independence
- Providing personal care, as directed by the Supervisor, which includes ambulatory assistance, meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping, respite, training, providing medication assistance, etc.
- Advocate on the client's behalf to the Program Manager
- Requesting assessment by a health care professional as needed
- Continuously evaluate the personal support care plan to determine if the client's needs have been met
- Personal Support Worker certification is mandatory, or;
- DSWs, HSWII, HSWII and HCAs (equivalent to HSWIII) education completion
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches course completion an asset
- Fundamentals of Palliative Care - Level I completion is preferred
- Current CPR and First Aid certification is required
- Experience working with the following clients groups is an asset:
- Seniors, pediatrics, mental health, cognitive impairment, obstetrics, palliative/oncology, ill individuals
- Alzheimer's or dementia
- Household management experience
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Awareness of community resources is essential
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbally
- Must have good critical thinking, assessment and problem solving skills
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Willingness to travel to neighbouring communities
- Must have reliable transportation and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check is required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
Apply on company website