Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: SMART
Work Schedule: Days
Biweekly Hours: 75
On Call: No
Working within the full scope of practice as outlined by the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario, the Kinesiologist is responsible for providing client-centered, evidence-based, efficient care to individuals in their homes and community. The Kinesiologist ensures care is provided within the framework of quality & risk management and the standards and scope of practice set by VON and the relevant provincial regulatory body.
- Provides service consistent with the standards established by VON and the provincial regulatory body.
- Works with clients to set and achieve functional goals as applicable.
- May develop in-home and group based exercise programs that prevent injury and provide rehabilitative and therapeutic benefits for senior clients whose needs require an exercise program that incorporates specific attention to underlying medical issues and associated risks
- May develop, coordinate and deliver falls prevention education for the Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together (SMART) program.
- Provides complete, relevant assessments and re-assessments of the client and their environment as applicable utilizing pre-set procedures as applicable.
- Implements kinesiology strategies or interventions according to client needs as appropriate.
- Describes and documents kinesiology processes clearly, concisely, accurately and appropriately, according to regulatory and VON standards.
- Utilizes appropriate interviewing and communication skills to obtain information from the client as applicable.
- Promotes involvement of client, family or caregiver in determining health and service needs as appropriate.
- Analyses and incorporates current research findings into practice.
- Documents rationale for referrals based on relevant, sound data and established guidelines.
- Refers clients to other appropriate agencies, service providers and disciplines as applicable.
- Identifies and utilizes tools and resources for relevant work and manages these resources.
- Works collaboratively within multidisciplinary team and acts as a clinical resource and mentor for other team members.
- Promotes client independence through teaching and health promotion.
- Utilizes adult learning principles and established teaching materials to provide health teaching to clients and families.
- Shares clinical knowledge to enable clients, families and the community to make informed choices in determining health and service needs.
- Practices in accordance with the quality and risk management framework of VON Canada and Occupational Health and Safety legislation.
- Participates in decision making and follows up to promote continuous quality improvement.
- Functions in accordance with the VON policies, procedures and strategic direction of VON Canada.
- Collaborates with management staff and colleagues in the evaluation of own practice and maintains competence through continuing education and self-reflection.
- Tracks and reports the result of program plans on a timely basis to the relevant supervisor and internal stakeholders.
- Works in partnership with community agencies and programs to support client needs.
- Works towards service targets to achieve business objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Collaborates and engages with Clients, Program Coordinators, Program Supervisors and Manager - Home and Community Care to ensure client needs are addressed appropriately and to support client independence.
- Communicates with community partners as it pertains to client care.
- Participates actively with other healthcare professionals, organizations and the community to promote best practices.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Post-Secondary Degree in Kinesiology or equivalent program.
- Current registration with the College of Kinesiologists of Ontario.
- Minimum 2 years related experience in the assessment and treatment of clients.
- First Aid/CPR certification is required.
- Knowledge and experience in program planning and evaluation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the social and health care services network and community resources.
- Experience providing exercise programming for seniors is an asset.
- Experience or understanding of the not-for-profit healthcare environment is an asset.
- Ability to observe and make effective assessment of clinical issues.
- Able to initiate and support health teaching, facilitation and development.
- Understanding of effective coaching methods and their implementation to assist clients
- Commitment to providing an excellent customer experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Strong commitment to ongoing education.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that allow for effective engagement with clients, staff and the public.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills.
- Effective time management skills that allow for the independent planning and organizing of daily work activity.
- Ability to be independent with decision-making.
- Ability to problem solve and to adapt kinesiology interventions as appropriate.
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentiality.
- Able to articulate effectively knowledge of components of quality and risk management principles as they relate to clinical practices.
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for client visits and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance.
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
VON Canada is committed to embracing and celebrating diversity, equity, and inclusion (EDI) as fundamental to living out our values of Respect, Compassion, and Excellence in all that we do.
Apply on company website