Description Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Occasional, Part Time (0.2 FTE)
Program Name: Community Support Services
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 15
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
On Call: No
This position is eligible for the temporary $3.00 per hour wage enhancement from the Ontario Government for all hours spent directly caring for clients.
Personal Support Workers/Developmental Service Worker, Respite work within the framework of Continuous Quality Improvement, VON District Philosophy, policies and procedures, standards and application legislation. Contributes to the fulfillment of the VON Mission Statement to develop /and/or promote programs to meet community needs. Respite workers provide programming in the home to support the well being of clients and provide caregiver relief.
The successful candidates will be responsible for providing companionship, personal care and health maintenance services to clients , within the framework of VON's philosophy, policies, standards and legislation.
- Personal Support Worker Certificate or Developmental Service Worker Certificate
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Certificate
- Gentle Persuasive Approach (GPA) training an asset.
- Proven experience working with individuals with Alzheimer's disease and related dementia's.
- Working with Dementia Certificate or equivalent training in dementia care an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Ability to adapt to change and work in various social and economic environments
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- Any other duties as required
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.
Apply on company website