This is an outstanding career opportunity to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver's License while working for Waste Pro. While training this position is responsible for assisting the refuse truck driver on pre-assigned and special routes to pick up garbage, yard waste, or recycling. During the first 4 months of employment Waste Pro will provide training to help the employee obtain a Commercial Learner's Permit. Once the employee obtains their permit, Waste Pro will provide behind the wheel instruction and testing with a State Certified Examiner. After passing test and obtaining CDL employee will be transferred to a driving position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Picks up solid waste and places it in the back of a rear load garbage truck on specified routes often done manually or by pushing toter to tipper. Lifts and carries trash bags, bulk items and containers to the truck for disposal. Climbs onto and off of the rear truck step to load refuse, waste and carts. Operates packing mechanism to compact waste into the truck.
2. Assists Driver in safely backing up the truck by directing the Driver from the ground.
3. Cleans behind the compactor blade with shovel and hoe when directed. Sprays and cleans the hopper and truck at the end of each shift or as needed.
4. Reports any safety or customer service related issues to driver and supervisor, immediately.
5. Assists other routes as needed to complete daily work.
6. Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
2. Provides a safe and Distinguishably Different level of service through courteous and expeditious customer service in all aspects of refuse operation to the general public and customers. Exhibits a positive attitude towards company, customer and municipal goals.
3. Ensures garbage and recyclables at residences are picked up and transferred properly; pick up may require using back door.
4. Answers questions for residents and directs them to contact Customer Service or appropriate government office for additional information.
5. Must comply with all ANSI (American National Standards Institute), OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and company safety polices including Waste Pro Absolute Guidelines.
9. Performs a variety of manual duties in the clean-up of scattered refuse; Cleans up the area around accidental waste spills and ensures customers containers are replaced properly.
10. May be required to work during emergency situations. QUALIFICATIONS:
* Must be at least 21 years of age or older
* Must have a valid driver's license for the state in which the position works. Requires a clean driving record.
* Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction
* See in the normal visual range with or without correction
* Exhibit normal range of body motion
* Understand and carry out oral and written instructions;
* Maintain written records and service responses.
* Must be able to speak and read English well enough to communicate with customers, co-workers, dispatch and super visors, understand highway and traffic signals, and be able to make legible entries on paperwork
* Be able to follow safe operating practices.
* Be able to learn and use interpersonal skills relating to good customer service
* Be able and willing to work in a team environment
* Be able to read, write and comprehend reports well enough to complete daily assignments. SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS /WORK REQUIREMENTS:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
1. Employee must either currently possess a Commercial Learner's Permit, or, with the assistance of the company, acquire one no later than 120 days from date-of-hire.
2. Employee must obtain a class B CDL within 150 days from date-of-hire.
3. Physically able to push or pull independently (unassisted) 50 pounds between 800 and 1000 times a day
4. Physically able to lift independently (unassisted) 50 pounds from the ground to waist height between 800 and 1000 times a day
5. Physically able to get up and down from the cab of a commercial motor vehicle between 800 and 1000 times a day
6. Physically able to bend at the waist and knees between 800 and 1000 times a day
7. Physically able to work 8 to 12 hours in extreme weather conditions (heat, cold, rain and snow)
8. Ability to ride on the outside of the truck while servicing residential customers in low MPH areas.
Apply on company website