The Wake Forest School of Medicine and Atrium Health enterprise is a top 50 national academic medical center and world class health system with an extramurally funded research portfolio of over $300M annually. We bring together high quality health care with innovative research as an academic learning health system with the goal of improving the health of our patients and communities we serve.
The department of Research Administration is a unified research entity comprised of over 300 teammates structured to provide outstanding research administration support in all research domains (e.g. basic, clinical, population) across the enterprise. The Research Administration department supports investigators and research teams through the provision of creative tools and services while maintaining the highest standards of customer service and promoting a safe, compliant and ethical research environment.
The Manager, Clinical Research Invoicing and Closeout is a leadership position that resides in the Office of Clinical Research (OCR). Under the direction of the Director, Clinical Research Administration – Post-Award. The position manages research administrative staff directly associated with the invoicing of non-federal sponsors, the invoicing of sponsored project accounts, and the successful and timely closeout of clinical research studies across all regions of the Atrium Enterprise. This position also manages and performs all post-award, clinical research financial administration activities across all regions of the Atrium Enterprise that occur within OnCore (clinical trial management system), ClinCard (electronic participant payment system), Oracle Cloud (financial system) and EPIC (patient billing system). The position will have an active portfolio of clinical research studies that they are responsible for maintaining and will be expected to perform all post-award activities assigned, including those not mentioned specifically in this job description.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field with 2-4 years of relevant experience in clinical research as a financial analyst or similar position. In some circumstances may consider equivalent years of direct research administration experience in a central office or certifications relevant to the profession in lieu of a bachelor's degree.
- 0-3 years of experience supervising or managing direct reports and completing performance management activities is required.
- Knowledge of research administration practices is required.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION: N/A.
- Provides general oversight and management of all members of the OCR Invoicing and Closeout Team.
- Serves as lead liaison with Departments and Centers conducting clinical research for all OnCore A/R related questions and data requests across all Enterprise locations.
- Serves as lead liaison with Financial Services and external partners to manage the financial activity for clinical research studies in ClinCard and Oracle Cloud.
- Personnel administration – manages all clinical research invoicing and closeout staff at all Enterprise locations and ensures that financial activities within OnCore, ClinCard, Oracle Cloud and EPIC are carried out by Enterprise representatives appropriately. Implements personnel actions (e.g., hiring, training, promotion, termination, and organizational changes) for the OCR Invoicing and Closeout Team, following appropriate location-based policies and procedures.
- Oversees and performs the following clinical research financial activities for the Enterprise:
- The generation of invoices in OnCore;
- The submission of generated OnCore invoices to sponsors of each clinical research study within the guidelines and parameters of each study's clinical trial agreement;
- The activation of OnCore invoices within Oracle Cloud;
- The tracking of Accounts Receivable (30, 45 and 60 day) to remittance;
- The reconciliation of sponsor payments to OnCore trial activities;
- The reconciliation of general ledger research accounts in Oracle Cloud related to payments received from sponsors for clinical research activities;
- Addressing bad debt write offs with Academic Finance;
- The invoicing of Departments (sponsored project accounts) for applicable EPIC charges to be paid by the sponsor;
- The financial closeout of study accounts in conjunction with the Office of Sponsored Programs;
- The communication with study teams and Financial Services personnel (as needed) to clarify questions regarding research charges;
- The completion of all clinical research invoicing activities in OnCore and Oracle Cloud; and the closeout of clinical research studies in OnCore and EPIC within pre-defined timelines.
- Ensures that all clinical research invoicing and closeout responsibilities and workflows across the Enterprise are performed in conjunction with institutional and federal policies and guidelines.
- Assesses, implements, and continuously monitors workflow and volumes to ensure workload is balanced among team members.
- Monitors key performance indicators (KPIs) to include, but not limited to, invoicing volumes, A/R trends, bad debt ratios and closeout timelines.
- Develops, implements, and monitors a comprehensive training program to include career ladder development. Addresses team training needs based on team member performance and quality reviews.
- Works closely with adjacent Office of Clinical Research personnel to identify and implement mechanisms to ensure the timely invoicing, reconciliation and closeout of clinical research studies within the Enterprise.
- In conjunction with the Director, Clinical Research Administration – Post-Award, ensures that institutional policies and procedures are followed to ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulatory guidelines related to clinical research financial management.
- Evaluates ongoing activities and services using customer feedback, system reports and metrics. Reports performance results to the Director, Clinical Research Administration – Post-Award.
- Prepares all monthly, quarterly and annual metrics and reports required by Director, Clinical Research Administration – Post-Award regarding clinical research revenue and expense.
- Shares responsibility (with the Director, Clinical Research Administration – Post-Award) for the education and assistance provided to study teams in the use and functionality of OnCore for appropriate clinical research invoicing and other financial activities.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and specific regulations by monitoring such requirements on an ongoing basis.
- Stays informed of developments in the field of clinical research finance and other related topics.
- Participates in internal and external meetings and committees, as assigned. Represents the Director, Clinical Research Administration – Post-Award in various meeting forums, as assigned.
- Manages special projects and other initiatives, as assigned.
- Performs other related duties incidental to work described herein.
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
Experience with computerized databases (e.g., Microsoft Excel), word processing (e.g., Microsoft Word), and presentation software (e.g., Microsoft PowerPoint).
Demonstrates ability to work independently.
Personnel management experience.
Requires the ability to work independently and to accept responsibility for complex and sensitive decision-making as it relates to the position.
Outstanding organizational skills are necessary to manage many competing timetables and responsibilities.
Ability to travel to Enterprise locations.
Clean, comfortable, well-lit, office environment.
Apply on company website