The BAE Systems site in York, Pennsylvania supporting Combat Vehicles is seeking a Continuous Improvement (CI) Specialist. In this role, the CI Specialist provides support to the Senior CI Specialist and Manager in planning, training, methodology guidance, communication and coaching skills to promote a culture of continuous improvement. This role will engage employees at all levels to help the lines of business improve quality levels, reduce waste, improve and simplify processes, continually reduce costs, and improve the overall effectiveness of assigned business processes and operations (with a main focus on production floor activities).
The key objective is to support the CI program to drive change that will positively affect the bottom line of the business while delivering optimum performance. The CI Specialist is responsible for facilitating and driving a broad array of CI activities including:
- Supporting and assisting implementation of the plan for CI;
- Coach employees in investigating Corrective Action (CAR) events, identifying valid root cause(s), and developing and implementing effective mitigating temporary and permanent process improvements focused on sustained process control;
- Leading CI activities and projects within the factories that will result in reductions in the true cost of quality;
- Helping to drive improvement efforts to resolve issues, internal and external, to the QMS to ensure consistent cost, quality and delivery;
- Serving as a facilitator supporting Quality and CI initiatives and an adviser in generating lower level goals and targets;
- Facilitating CI efforts among work teams;
- Supporting efforts to achieve factory quality, cost and delivery metric goals;
- Driving corrective actions to closure. Identifying errors and root cause and subsequently implementing corrective and preventive actions.
Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experience
Required Skills and Education
The ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive experience leading incident (event) investigation teams - fact gathering, performing Event Chain-Causal Analysis determining valid root cause and implementing effective process control focused improvements;
- Analytical problem solving ability to identify issues and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root cause using data and implement solutions;
- Innovative and effective solution development, risk mitigation and execution experience;
- The ability to handle multiple, complex priorities and balance the needs of each according to business impact;
- Strong written, verbal, presentation, and facilitation skills;
- The ability to communicate information - verbally, written - in understandable terms to all levels of the organization;
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with cross functional teams and leadership at all levels to facilitate improvements across the organization;
- A demonstrated ability in applying SPC, Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing Principles;
- Solid skills in problem solving, statistical analysis, manufacturing quality, and quality principles
- The ability to work independently and be effective in a fast-paced environment.
Preferred Skills and Education
- ASQ CQE certification preferred;
- Experience with RCA software (i.e. REASON, Taproot) a plus;
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Belt Certification from renowned CI organization.
- Demonstrated success initiating, leading and closing out CI DMAIC projects;
- Experience implementing Error Proofing or Poka-Yoke improvements greatly beneficial;
- Experience leading Continuous Improvement DMAIC Projects a bonus;
- Metrics and Data Analysis using Minitab a plus!
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Apply on company website