BAE Systems Inc, is currently recruiting for a Director of Production to join our Norfolk Ship Repair team. As the Director of Production you will be a key participant in long-term business planning, business development, profitability, and has primary responsibility for daily operations of production resources and the shipyard. In this role you will develop, maintain, and direct all aspects of Norfolk Ship Repair Operations; ensure that all Operation's resources are coordinated and lead to achievement of product quality, safety, cost, and schedule objectives. This role is part of the senior leadership team and reports directly to the General Manager of the Yard.
Other duties will include:
- Maintains a strategic view of craft performance and evaluates overall capital requirements consistent with new proposal work.
- Drives and provides direction of manufacturing technology and process improvement through the use of the Production budget.
- Works closely with Director or Programs to execute shipboard maintenance in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Responsible for total production budget and ensures financial targets are met or exceeded.
- Ensures adequate manpower is in place to provide production leadership within Operations.
- Provides leadership and direction to craft mangers in their role as Workforce Planning managers.
- Reports and leads corrective action on product technical problems that are design and/or manufacturing in nature.
- Reviews Production related Cost Performance Index (CPI) and Schedule Performance Index (SPI) and initiates. Estimated Time to Completion (ETC) and Estimated Actual Completion (EAC) on product lines.
- Implements systems of controls and reports to accurately measure the quality of performance, sustain compliance, and identify constraints and problem areas requiring management attention.
- Evaluates and improves the quality of operational staff and procedures.
- Oversees the continuous improvement of assigned key business processes and ensures consistent application throughout the business area.
- Responsible to drive ethical behavior and enforcing a respectful culture.
- Instills a culture of Safety, Health & Environmental (SHE) excellence throughout the organization, including continuous improvement of Safety standards, and ensures compliance with SHE objectives and policies. Experience with OSHA VPP is preferred.
- Responsible for developing people, including succession planning, education, courses, and training that improve people skills, improve engagement, and drive performance and productivity within the operations.
- Creates a business culture where people are valued and engaged.
- Reviews performance of subordinates and takes appropriate action regarding salary increases, promotions, and disciplinary action. Interviews applicants for open positions.
- Shares responsibility of self-development with immediate supervisor.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
A Bachelor's Degree and12 years of relevant work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience leading a large production organization in a highly complex environment.
Experience working with labor unions.
Analytical thought needed to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations, without supervision.
Communication skills to exchange complex information both up and down within the organization.
Negotiation Skills and ability to influence others.
Project Management: Leads Project/Program team member checking the work of others. Typically responsible for training and developing the production workforce and new team members.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Master's Degree and more than 15+ years of experience.
PMP Credential preferred but not required.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We're laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Apply on company website