The Tech Area Leader for Distributed Estimation Fusion and Integration (DEFI) will report directly to the Director of the Autonomy, Control, & Estimation (ACE) product line, within BAE Systems' FAST Labs. This position includes profit and loss responsibility DEFI. Responsibilities include:
Define and execute the annual strategy for DEFI. Develop annual business plan and manage the business to meet or exceed the plan. Track progress to towards that plan on a regular basis. Key elements of the business plan include funding, sales, profit, new business funds and staff utilization planning and management. Provide advice and counsel to the ACE Director.
Provide leadership oversight and active engagement in the development and pursuit of business opportunities for DEFI. Develop relationships with Defense and Intelligence customers in DEFI R&D market segment to create and shape new business opportunities. Provide leadership oversight and active engagement in the preparation of technical, management and cost proposals. Manage new business funds allocated. Maintain cognizance of corporate capabilities and identify new business opportunities for other product lines and business areas.
- Design, develop, and transition tracking, fusion and analytic algorithms for air, space and underwater vehicle systems.
- Ensure the successful execution of all programs led by DEFI. Ensure all programs are executed in accordance with FAST Labs Program Management Policies. Lead the pursuit of follow-on business opportunities.
- Proactively engage with BAE Systems business areas to facilitate transition of DEFI technologies, building relationships with business area staff to facilitate technology transition and collaboration.
- Work with the ACE leadership team to actively manage and develop talent within DEFI. Work with HR and the ACE Director to prepare salary and compensation review recommendations. Develop performance goals for the staff and conduct annual performance appraisals.
Typical Education & Experience
Bachelor's Degree with 12+ year of experience
Master's Degree and 10+ years of professional experience
Doctorate and 8+ years of professional experience
Required Skills and Education
- Bachelor's Degree with 12+ year of experience
- Master's Degree and 10+ years of professional experience
- Doctorate and 8+ years of professional experience
- >8 years of technical leadership experience in Defense and Intelligence markets
- Degree in electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, computer science, mathematics or physics
- Experience providing technical leadership for new concept formulation
- Strong technical expertise in optimization and control technologies
- Domain expertise in one or more of the following areas: autonomous aircraft, mission planning, electronic warfare, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance, low observable aircraft testing, air-air and air-ground operations
- Eligible for US Top Secret/SCI Security Clearance (active clearance strongly preferred)
Preferred Skills and Education
1. Broad network of key stakeholders/leaders in government R&D, requirements, and acquisition communities
2. Experience as technical lead of DARPA, or government lab R&D programs
3. Experience leading advanced prototype development programs that include software and hardware integration and test.
4. Strong technical expertise in systems engineering.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems
BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Apply on company website