Summary and Qualifications:
The primary purpose and function of the Director, Construction & Remodels is to oversee and direct all components of new construction and remodels. This position will maintain strong working relationships and communications between all teams at Central Team Support (CTS), outside vendors and leadership. This role is focused on leading the team in the honing of standards and processes to ensure the delivery of new hospitals and maintain our brand and quality standards in our existing and acquired fleet of hospitals.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Provide leadership, support and vision to associates. Counsel, coach, and mentor associates; developing a strong functioning team.
- In direct partnership with the design team, external architectural partners, general contractors, vendors will direct the delivery of our new hospital construction projects and our capital remodel projects for our existing and acquired fleet of hospitals – including larger maintenance projects that are beyond the scope and capability of our facilities team.
- Lead the team in performing all due-diligence related to obtaining all requisite permits (building/use) and closing on real estate for stand-alone projects.
- Lead the Construction and remodel team while also exercising influence with those responsible for specific functions or phases of a project (internal – CTS and Field and external partners).
- Lead the team in the projection and development of accurate CapEx budget forecasts and the project oversite to ensure that CapEx budgets are met and all projects are delivered on schedule.
- Financial accountability for Capex budgets, and management of departmental expenses.
- Forge strong partnerships throughout the practice (Facilities, Veterinary Affairs, Field and Hospital Operations, HSE, AP, etc.) to ensure that we Are able to continually meet the needs of the business, adjusting when appropriate.
- Advise leadership of potential risks and/or liabilities as soon as practicable, with a focus to solve all issues with GC, architects while providing options for mitigating the risk.
- Lead the construction and remodel team in the identification, negotiation and selection of all external partners (i.e., general contractors, engineers, expeditors, suppliers, etc.).
- Partner cross-functionally, coordinating communications between general contractor, outside vendors, CTS teams and senior leadership.
- Accountable for the careful review and inspection of all construction documents for accuracy, required changes and/or amendments to ensure optimal execution.
- Lead the team in forging strong relationships to develop a portfolio of trusted contractors and advisors to enlist in the delivery of our growth and hospital quality goals and standards.
- Provide functional expertise, guidance and support to other VHG/Mars vet entities, with a focus on efficiency and scalability in the service of our hospital-based teams.
- Work in partnership with the real estate and design teams to provide the appropriate guidance as related to the feasibility of a site for pursuit as a Stand Alone hospital. Provide guidance on limitations, challenges and costs to mitigate, with a focus on meeting the needs of the business and responsible return on investment.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- This role requires up to 30% travel.
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume/deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or Construction Management is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- 10 years of professional experience managing construction related projects and five years leading teams in the delivery of construction related projects are required.
- Extensive experience in a fast-paced environment of shifting priorities & needs and delivering within the confines of a pre-determined budget is required.
- Extensive experience leading the successful and timely delivery of remote projects, while ensuring quality, value, and a high-level of focus on customer satisfaction (e.g., Facilities team, hospital-based associates and the clients and pets that they serve) is required.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Apply on company website