Banfield aspires to be a practice where as a team, we make a positive impact on pet health care in hospitals, communities, and the field of veterinary medicine. And, we believe hiring people with diverse perspectives, ideas, and cultures, permits us to deliver to the highest quality of preventive care.
As a Banfield veterinary technician, you will work alongside pet health care industry experts to make a difference in the lives of the pets and clients we serve. With the chance to utilize your veterinary knowledge, communication skills, and love for pets, this role will afford you the opportunity to define a clear career path for continued growth and learning.
- Actively recruit new clients by promoting hospital services, Optimum Wellness Plans, preventative care and pet health needs.
- Manage routing the flow of clients and pets to ensure superior client care and maximum productivity of the veterinary medical team.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all times. This includes encouraging hospital visits, welcoming clients and pets, ensuring that they are comfortable in the hospital, educating them about their pet's health, performing or preparing procedures that do not require veterinarian assistance, completing preparatory work for other procedures, and monitoring hospitalized or surgical pets.
- Assist incoming clients by completing the required documentation, entering all pet information and history in the computer, utilizing proper collars and tags for identification, and ensuring prompt service.
- Assist outgoing clients by providing all necessary instructions, information and invoices, dispensing prescription items per the veterinarian's instructions, selling retail products and scheduling future appointments.
- Manage the finances by maintaining accurate balances and utilizing proper opening and closing procedures.
- Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian to ensure the best quality pet care and to maximize the veterinarian's productivity and communicate with the other associates to maintain the flow of patients.
- Obtain relevant information and history from clients and maintain proper and complete medical charts.
- Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
- Assist with surgery as applicable.
- Train and mentor new paraprofessional associates.
- Quality check medical records, go home medications, regulatory documentations, hospital cleanliness, and timeliness of doctors seeing exam room patients.
- Utilize technical skills to the fullest, within state practice acts regarding the duties of credentialed veterinary technicians. Conduct administrative functions as necessary.
- Assist Practice Manager in developing an efficient, productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients, following all Banfield protocols and practices, as well as all local, state and federal laws, focusing the team to achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
- Support Practice Manager in hospital labor management
- May assist Practice Manager in the selection, training, and day-to-day supervision of the paraprofessional team
- Assist Practice Manager in creating an environment where a team can deliver quality, efficient and effective veterinary care to pets.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients, hospital leadership and Central Team Support.
- Ensure all hospital associates adhere to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
- Prepare whole team on cases scheduled for the day, assist with any transfers of cases from day before or external referrals to provide continuity of care, triage the treatment board.
- Assist Practice Manager in identifying potential “bottlenecks” and formulating solutions to remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors in providing world class preventive care and client service.
- Confer with field leadership and assist with client resolution decisions, invoice adjustments and client experience exceptions.
- Address broken equipment issues and assist in inventory management.
Veterinary Technician Certification or Licensure (CVT, RVT, LVT, or LVMT)
Associate's or Bachelor's degree from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program.
Being a veterinary technician requires much more than AVMA certified credentials. It means bringing your talents, skills, dedication, and a desire for developing alongside your peers. But, most importantly, it means showing up each day with a passion for pets and working with others who believe preventive care is the key to helping pets achieve long and healthy lives.
As we do with all our associates, we look to our vet techs to adopt our Five Principles — Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom. And, while your on-paper qualifications are of course important, we actively seek out vet techs who thrive on delivering outstanding client and pet experiences.
Your wellbeing matters.
We know that your real passion for pet well-being is why you chose this profession. At Banfield, we believe it is just as important to support the well-being of those who devote their lives to this cause. Through our extensive network and support structure, Banfield offers a wide array of benefits and programs, empowering you to focus on yourself and your family, as you care for pets and clients
As a Banfield vet tech, we want you to take full advantage of work and play through:
- Competitive salary with paid time off
- Medical, dental, vision and prescription drug benefits for you and eligible dependents
- Automatic enrollment in 401(k) Savings Plan after 60 days of employment
- Health Savings Account with annual practice-paid funding of $750 to supplement health care expenses
- Automatic enrollment in 100% practice paid short- and long-term disability after 60 days of employment – includes maternity leave
- Optimum Wellness Plans (OWPs) for up to three pets
- A variety of discounts including Mars, PetSmart, Royal Canin, fitness, cellular, and so much more
Whether you are a newly certified or an experienced vet tech, a job at Banfield opens the door to exploring the next best move in your career. We are committed to helping you grow as a vet tech by providing:
- Performance Development Plans (PDP) designed to help you define and achieve your career goals
- Practice-paid continuing education opportunities along with the opportunity to attend partner conferences
- Free membership to NAVTA, practice-paid subscription to VetFolio, and a 50% discount for VetGirl
- Opportunities to lend your skills to the local communities where you live and serve
- Ability to grow into leadership roles at the field and practice level
We've created a structure that includes leadership and support at the hospital level, in the field, and at our headquarters, all with one goal in mind: helping you deliver quality care for all pets.
Commitment to community wellness
Through volunteering efforts, and our programs designed to benefit local shelters and rescues, we strengthen the pet-human connections in our communities. Discover how we support the wellbeing of our people and profession through the Mars Volunteer Program (MVP).
So, what are you waiting for?
Make your move and apply today!
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. Banfield Pet Hospital follows all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Apply on company website