Plans and implements specific treatment programs for assigned patients according to the principles and practices of speech therapy. Examines, tests and administers treatments for patients with speech disorders. Evaluates patients regarding the application of a wide variety of therapeutic techniques for rehabilitation of speech disorders. Collaborates with interdisciplinary treatment team. Job is performed appropriately for the age population served as defined in the department's scope of service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Completes patient assessments and treatments.
- Assesses patient, plans and implements treatment, periodically evaluates patient's progress toward goals and documents patient related assessments and treatments.
- Plans and implements treatment programs based on evaluation results, discharge goals, and interdisciplinary team patient goals.
- Provides patient and family teaching, including specific exercise and motor learning to improve strength, endurance, coordination, self-care training, and sensory stimulation. Provides home programs.
- Adapts environment to facilitate patient's progress.
- Utilizes technology effectively to maximize patient gains.
2. Documents Care Provided
- Documents patient records, billing procedures, and productivity management, as required, adhering to department documentation standards in patient care.
3. Promotes Team Approach
- Works cooperatively with team members to assure a comprehensive interdisciplinary patient program and discharge goals, participating in interdisciplinary team conferences, patient planning, patient related conferences and meetings for patients.
- Assesses and implements discharge planning activities and makes appropriate recommendations regarding discharge needs, including home evaluations and equipment orders when necessary.
- Works with outside vendors and case managers to order patient specific equipment when funding has been verified.
- Provides staff training to promote patient progress re: equipment, transfers, mobility, etc.
4. Promotes education and participates department tasks.
- Attends continuing education for licensure requirements and keeps abreast of current/new treatment approaches and/or equipment.
- Attends mandatory meetings, and assists other departments as needed.
- Participates in department management tasks; supervises and/or provides in-services and training for licensed assistants, rehab tech, students, hospital staff, and volunteers.
- Offers suggestions for process improvement; recommends to the supervisor/manager equipment and/or supplies that may enhance Rehab Program.
5. Performs other duties and special projects as required.
- Completes assigned projects by due date.
Minimum four years experience as a staff therapist desired.
Previous supervisory experience preferred.
ADDITIONAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Extensive clinical education in multiple areas of occupational therapy preferred.
Introductory management courses preferred.
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Louisiana State licensure required.
ASHA CCC or CFY Preferred.
Oral and written communication skills required.
Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
Good organizational skills.
Advanced problem and conflict resolution skills.
Good coaching and teaching skills.
Excellent communication skills.
Clinical competence in multiple areas.
Apply on company website