JOB PURPOSE OR MISSION: Fills orders for drugs, monitors patient drug therapies and provides drug information; supervises and directs supportive personnel. Job is performed appropriately for the age population served, as defined in the department's scope of service.
CRITERIA A: Everyday Excellence Values - Employee demonstrates Everyday Excellence values in the day-to-day performance of their job.
• Demonstrates courtesy and caring to each other, patients and their families, physicians, and the community.
• Takes initiative in living our Everyday Excellence values and vital signs.
• Takes initiative in identifying customer needs before the customer asks.
• Participates in teamwork willingly and with enthusiasm.
• Demonstrates respect for the dignity and privacy needs of customers through personal action and attention to the environment of care.
• Keeps customers informed, answers customer questions and anticipates information needs of customers.
CRITERIA B: Corporate Compliance - Employee demonstrates commitment to the Code of Conduct, Conflict of Interest Guidelines, and the GHS Corporate Compliance Guidelines.
• Practices diligence in fulfilling the regulatory and legal requirements of the position and department.
• Maintains accurate and reliable patient/organizational records.
• Maintains professional relationships with appropriate officials; communicates honesty and completely; behaves in a fair and nondiscriminatory manner in all professional contacts.
CRITERIA C: Personal Achievement - Employee demonstrates initiative in achieving work goals and meeting personal objectives.
• Uses accepted procedures and practices to complete assignments. Uses creative and proactive solutions to achieve objectives even when workload and demands are high.
• Adheres to high moral principles of honesty, loyalty, sincerity, and fairness.
• Upholds the ethical standards of the organization.
CRITERIA D: Performance Improvement - Employee actively participates in Performance Improvement activities and incorporates quality improvement standards in his/her job performance.
• Optimizes talents, skills, and abilities in achieving excellence in meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
• Initiates or redesigns to continuously improve work processes.
• Contributes ideas and suggestions to improve approaches to work processes.
• Willingly participates in organization and/or department quality initiatives.
CRITERIA E: Cost Management - Employee demonstrates effective cost management practices.
• Effectively manages time and resources
• Makes conscious effort to effectively utilize the resources of the organization — material, human, and financial.
• Consistently looks for and uses resource saving processes
CRITERIA F: Patient & Employee Safety - Employee actively participates in and demonstrates effective patient and employee safety practices.
• Employee effectively communicates, demonstrates, coordinates and emphasizes patient and employee safety.
• Employee proactively reports errors, potential errors, injuries or potential injuries.
• Employee demonstrates departmental specific patient and employee safety standards at all times.
• Employee demonstrates the use of proper safety techniques, equipment and devices and follows safety policies, procedures and plans.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
1. Prepares and dispenses drug orders per physician request according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
• Interprets drug orders (verbal, electronic and written) and transcribes to computerized patient medication profiles accurately.
• Reviews and verifies all medication orders and contacts physicians / prescribers when questions arise.
• Maintains accurate, complete pharmacy patient medication profiles.
• Compounds sterile products, chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition products accurately in accordance with USP <797>.
• Compounds non-sterile products accurately and in accordance with USP <795>.
• Issues controlled substances to patient care areas and maintains records as required by law.
2. Ensures safe, appropriate, cost effective drug therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures and protocols.
• Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies and appropriateness of drug and dose.
• Reads, extracts and interprets information in patient charts appropriately.
• Detects and reports suspected adverse drug reactions accurately and in a timely manner.
• Provides clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners, suggests appropriate cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed.
• Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely.
• Participates in the quality improvement and medication use review activities of the department; collects data, conducts monitors and inspections and maintains logs, records and other documentation as assigned.
3. Contributes to the quality and effective operation of the department through supervision of pharmacy support personnel.
• Verifies the daily activities of pharmacy technicians and participates in performance appraisal of pharmacy support personnel.
• Ensures pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner through organization and prioritizing work assignments; works independently with minimal supervision.
• Completes all assigned medication storage area inspections in a timely manner and identifies and replaces outdated and unusable drugs.
• Professionally answers the telephone and requests at the window.
4. Maintains competency required for current job title/position
• Maintains current Louisiana pharmacist license; ensures applicable CE records and licensure are maintained in department files.
• Attends pharmacy staff meetings or read and signs acknowledgement of the minutes.
• Attends orientation, education and training programs; reviews literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of pharmacy.
• Completes all competency/skills assessment requirements.
5. Performs all other duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Hospital experience preferred.
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
BS Pharmacy or PharmD
SPECIAL SKILL, LICENSE AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
Current Louisiana license
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable HIPAA regulations appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Medical records without limitation both paper and electronic, patient demographics, lab and radiology results, patient information related to surgery or appointment schedules, medical records related to quality/data, patient financial information and 3rd party billing, information related to patient location, religious beliefs, research information, public health records, employee prescriptions, and/or investigatory information.
Maintains knowledge of and adherence to all applicable safety practices appropriate to Job Position including but not limited to: Incident reporting, handling of wastes, sharps and linen, PPE, exposure control plans, hand washing, environment of care, patient identification, receives meds and/or orders.
Apply on company website