Brown University is a leading research university distinct for its student-centered learning and deep sense of purpose. Our students, faculty and staff are driven by the idea that their work will have an impact in the world.
Brown University offers a flexible work/life balance; summer hours, winter break and a comprehensive Benefits package including time off, annual paid holidays; benefits offerings including health, dental, vision, tuition assistance, retirement, wellness, employee discounts and more. To learn about Brown University's benefits, visit the University Human Resources web page here for further information.
About the Opportunity:
The Digital Learning & Design Hub is located within the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning. The Sheridan Center seeks to provide a place where all learners at Brown University can grow, interdisciplinary collaborations can form, and educators can experiment with different modalities of teaching and learning.
At the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning, the successful candidate for this hybrid-eligible position will be joining a team of educational developers with diverse perspectives and experiences who are each committed to educational excellence, equity, and access at Brown. Staff within this vibrant center thrive on interdisciplinary collaboration, genuine curiosity, and evidence-based, reflective practices.
Brown University has an exciting and immediate opportunity for an Educational Media Producer, Editor to work as part of a team dedicated to engaging in new online program development within the Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning. This position will collaborate with faculty to produce engaging and accessible course media content, including video, interviews, audio podcasts, voiceover recordings, motion graphics, animations, graphic elements, and screencast tutorials, for new online graduate programs.
The core responsibilities of the position include bringing video and audio stories to life by making structural, creative, and selective editorial decisions while also ensuring accessibility to a diverse audience. The ideal candidate possesses technical video production skills and supports Brown's mission by incorporating knowledge of accessible media design, quality standards for video and audio products, and creative problem-solving skills to promote teaching excellence and innovation, and fostering student learning in an online environment.
In this role, candidates can expect to:
- Identify, plan, and evaluate needs for instructional media for a variety of academic courses and disciplines
- Produce, edit and deliver instructional media products in response to instructional initiatives, including videos and audio/podcasts
- Create motion graphics and animations to visualize complex concepts and ideas
- Work collaboratively with Sheridan colleagues to effectively and efficiently deliver services to development partners by contributing relevant expertise as needed
- Contribute to the visual design of online courses to support effective learning experience design
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education and experience.
- 2-3 years of experience in video/audio production (production, editing, motion graphics/animation).
- 1-2 years of experience in visual design (graphic design, motion design).
- Fluency in current video technology and media production best practices.
- Ability to ‘storyboard,' to plan out a project and to help others to visualize the end result.
- Ability to take complex subjects and explain them clearly to different audiences.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues efficiently.
- Technical knowledge of studio lighting, studio production and set up video equipment and lighting.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, manage time, and identify resources for projects.
- Proficiency using video editing software (e.g., Adobe Premier Pro); motion graphics software (e.g., Adobe After Effects,); audio editing software (e.g. Adobe Audition, Logic Pro); video cameras, sound, and lighting equipment.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment where services are in high demand and new initiatives introduced routinely.
- Work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Interest in and ability to collaborate well with others.
- Positive and professional attitude; interest in learning new skills.
- Demonstrated ability to support a community of diverse perspectives and cultures in an inclusive environment.
- Reflective practice (e.g., openness to feedback and input, attentive to professional development needs).
Applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and CV as a single PDF or Word file.
This position is expected to work on Brown's Providence campus for a minimum of two days per week with the flexibility to work remotely on other days.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
Recruiting Start Date:2023-03-01
Job Posting Title:Educational Media Producer, Editor
Department:Teaching and Learning/Sheridan Center
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Position Classification:Hybrid Eligible
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer, Brown University provides equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and retaliation based upon a person's race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is protected by our University policies.
Apply on company website