The Health Data Scientist will support research initiatives within the Brown Center for Biomedical Informatics (BCBI), a transdisciplinary group leading initiative that spans the full spectrum of biomedicine and health care. Additionally, they will assist the Sr. Manager of Health Data Science with strategic planning for BCBI and work collaboratively with other members of the Center, including additional members of the Health Data Science Team, BCBI faculty, and trainees. The Health Data Scientist's principal efforts will be focused on the development of biomedical informatics and data science approaches for analyzing and visualizing biomedical and health data, which may be defined by work supported by extramural grants and contracts. They will serve as the technical liaison for assigned projects with BCBI collaborators across Brown University and its affiliated hospitals, as well as regional, national, and international partners. The Health Data Scientist will be an active participant in exploring approaches for leveraging heterogeneous data to support biomedical research, healthcare, and policy initiatives in alignment with the vision for BCBI.
This is a three year, fixed-term staff position, based in the Brown Center for Biomedical Informatics with the possibility of extension contingent upon available funding.
- Required: Bachelor's degree and 5-7 years of related work experience in a quatitiave, computational, or software development field and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preferred: Advanced degree preferred with 1-2 years of related work experience (Advanced degree in Biomedical Informatics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Physics, or with a similar technical and computational emphasis).
- Experience in a quantitative, computational, or software development field required
- A track record of delivering products or services, or conducting and publishing original research.
- Working knowledge with most of the following: Linux operating system, programming languages (e.g., Java, Ruby, R, or Julia), database management systems (e.g., MySQL or Oracle), and Web languages and technologies (e.g., Ruby on Rails or D3)
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines, and an eagerness to take ownership of challenging and open-ended assignments.
- Effective at communicating with audiences with varying technical backgrounds.
- Experience with biomedical or health data.
Criminal and education background check required.
Recruiting Start Date:2019-05-03-07:00
Job Posting Title:Health Data Scientist
Department:Center for Biomedical Informatics
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website