The College of Southern Nevada appreciates your interest in employment at our growing institution. We want your application process to go smoothly and quickly. We ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- Once you start the application process you cannot save your work. Please ensure you have all required attachment(s) available to complete your application before you begin the process.
- Required attachments are listed below on the posting. Your application will not be considered without the required attachments.
- Please note that applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
If you are unable to attach the required documents to your online application or need assistance regarding the application process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team within Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (702) 651-5800 to be directed to the appropriate Recruiter.
*This position is OPEN until Filled. Please Note: Based on the volume of applications received this recruitment may close at any time. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
This position will report to the Department of Facilities Management Technical Service Department at the North Las Vegas Campus. Under direct supervision, responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In a correctional setting, function as a lead worker for an inmate crew regularly and document inmate performance through the completion of periodic performance reports. Incumbents are also responsible for implementing security procedures which include securing the work area from unauthorized inmates and accountability for assigned inmates, staff, tools, and equipment.
- Serve as a lead worker for HVACR Specialists I's and provide training, work direction, and technical assistance to subordinate staff to solve heating and air conditioning problems associated with system failures, and design required system modifications.
- Have sole responsibility for the operation, maintenance, repair, and modification of a major facility's heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and/or refrigeration-related systems.
- Perform preventive maintenance on various equipment related to heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems, fuel and combustion systems, forced air furnaces, radiant heaters, chillers, air handlers, window air conditioning units, evaporative coolers, and refrigeration units.
- Maintain auxiliary equipment such as motors, pumps, fans, pipe systems, compressors, humidifiers, condensers, and pneumatic and electronic control units; adhere to established maintenance schedules to replace filters, lubricate motors and fans, replace belts, conduct chemical analysis, and add correct proportion of treatment chemicals, and cleaning other mechanical equipment located throughout a facility.
- Inspect equipment for proper functioning; check meters, gauges, and other instruments; inspect occupied areas for comfort; adjust safety and limit controls; log information related to temperatures, pressures, fuel consumption, water level, time, and date, and respond to emergencies such as utility and equipment failure.
- Repair and modify equipment and components related to heating and air conditioning systems by repairing or replacing damaged pipes or valves including brazing, soldering, pipe fitting, or adding new piping valves and controls.
- Troubleshoot electrical circuits associated with heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration including tracing dead circuits, rewiring circuits, repairing or replacing electrical components such as starters, contactors, relays, and control units; repairing or replacing burner gun assemblies; recovering refrigerant and recharge refrigeration equipment.
- Diagnose equipment failure; make repairs and test system functions using common hand and power tools, brazers, solderers, torches, voltmeters, amprobes, oxygen analyzers, and precision measuring instruments.
- Install new components such as thermostats, timers, or insulation to make older equipment more energy efficient.
- Make parts and material purchases and maintain inventories according to departmental policies and State regulations; and prepare and maintain records related to work activities.
- Store, handle and dispose of coolants and other chemicals by established policies and regulatory requirements.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Note: This position may require traveling between campuses and working evenings and weekends as needed.
- Completion of a recognized HVACR apprenticeship program followed by one year of journey level experience in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of a wide variety of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment; OR one year of experience as a HVACR Specialist I in Nevada State service; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience as described above.
- Ability to: estimate material and labor needed to complete a job; secure technical advice and diagnose system failures; design system modifications and installation; and all knowledge, skills and abilities required at the lower level.
- Working knowledge of: prison security and custody procedures, if applicable.
- General knowledge of: supervisory techniques and procedures; departmental and State purchasing procedures.
- Ability to: establish and monitor security measures necessary to perform work in a correctional setting; industry publications and manufacturers supporting the heating and air conditioning industry; direct the work of other skilled personnel; plan and schedule seasonal maintenance on heating and air conditioning systems.
Schedule Weekly Hours
Monday - Friday 6:00 am - 2:30 pm or 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Grade 33, Step 1 $ 48,608.64
Per Nevada Administrative Code (NAC 284.170), salaries for initial appointments for classified positions typically begin at Step 1.
The College of Southern Nevada offers a generous benefit package, including an excellent PERS retirement plan (a defined benefit plan), vacation & sick leave benefits, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and health insurance plans that can be added with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts. Supplemental options (long term care, short term disability, and legal). Tuition discounts at the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institutions. As well as tuition discounts for spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. Perks encompassing on campus employee discounts, professional and personal development opportunities; and statewide employee purchase programs. Join a dynamic team investing in our future, Students First.
To be considered for this position, upload the following documents to your application:
- Resume - List a detailed description of the major duties that you performed as part of each job. You must demonstrate that you qualify for the position and your education and experience must be clearly documented.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts (optional)
- 3 Professional References (optional)
Out of Area/State Candidates will not be offered travel reimbursement.
NSHE - INTERNAL APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE
CSN employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) MUST use the "Find Jobs" process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at CSN and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site. Locate this specific job posting by typing the requisition number in the search box. If you complete an application outside of the internal application process and apply as an external candidate, your application will no longer be considered at the time of minimum qualification review. In order to prevent the disqualification of your application, you will need to reapply as an internal candidate before 11:59pm the day prior to the position close date.
Posting Close Date12/31/2022
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
All document(s) must be received by 11:59 p.m. the day prior to the closing date posted on the job announcement.
This position may require that a criminal background check be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Schedules are subject to change based on organizational needs.
CSN is responsive to serving the educational needs of a diverse and ever-changing community. CSN employs only U.S. citizens and aliens authorized to work in the U.S. CSN does not sponsor aliens applying for faculty, professional staff, or management positions (H-1B Visas) in the absence of exceptional circumstances as defined by the USCIS.
Apply on company website