The Release Train Engineer (RTE) is a leader on the Agile Release Train (ART), a team of teams (50-125 people) that plan, commit, develop and deploy software together to deliver significant value to Digital's end customers.
This is an instrumental leadership role in the oversight and execution of Digital initiatives that generates multimillion-dollar business value to the organization and touch millions of consumers every year, partnering closely with leaders from other Digital disciplines (Product, Engineering, QA, Architecture, Design/UX) and across the organization to provide quarterly guidance and day-to-day direction.
RTEs are accountable for relentless train improvement and for ensuring transparency about the ART's delivery, risks and accomplishments. The RTE drives train processes and ensure teams have everything they need to be successful to build the product and help coach the ART in Scrum, Kanban and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
• Planning & Facilitation
o Acts as the train's focal point for communication and connections with all impacted teams needed to deliver on the work. (Includes teams on the SAFe trains, agile teams not on trains, waterfall teams, vendor partners, suppliers, etc.)
o Manages and facilitates Train meetings and processes, including Agile ceremonies and quarterly release planning activities with key business stakeholders
o Plans and facilitates the train's quarterly Program Increment (PI) planning event, including the readiness/preparation activities in advance to ensure teams are ready for a Planning session.
o Ensures prioritization alignment, resolves conflicts, and clears cross-team/ART-level impediments and risks so the train delivers commitments and realizes business value. Emphasis on problem-solving.
o Responsible for agile budgets and forecasts related to people associated within the agile release train
o Foster information sharing, creating a collaborative environment
o Manage train budget and spend through forecasting, resource allocation and monitoring, in partnership with finance. Partners with finance and procurement.
o Sets the tone in shaping the train's culture, fostering an environment for high-performing team dynamics, continuous flow, relentless improvement, and fun.
o Coaches train leaders, team leads, and team members (including scrum masters) in Lean-Agile practices and thinking
o Matures and advances of the use of agile, multi-team software development practices using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe).
• Reporting & Metric Analysis
o Manages and optimizes the flow of value through the ART using various tools, such as the Program Board, Kanban Boards and score cards
o Tracks and reports on progress of epic, feature, costs, benefits etc. using appropriate tools (Rally, etc.) across the train and with solution/ portfolio senior leadership and business partners
o Collaborates with Product and Finance for capitalization of work delivered within Program Increments
• Process Improvements
o Is the source of energy for relentless, continuous improvement
o Utilizes feedback and metrics (quality, delivery rate, etc.) to identify areas of opportunity
o Directs the implementation of process improvements (which may be done by this role or others) that significantly improve quality and flow across the train; measure the results
o Manages the train's backlog and work in progress for improvement initiatives
o Improves the flow of value on the train by reducing lead times and bottlenecks in the value stream
o Fosters innovation with practices and frameworks through experimentation to improve program delivery
o Curates of best practices and shares them with others (within train, within solution train, within portfolio, with other RTEs, etc.)
*3+ years' experience as RTE, Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Agile Project/Program Manager
• Program Management experience in the Retail, Digital, Healthcare or PBM industry
• Advanced understanding of software development
• Advanced understanding of lean-agile principles/mindset and SAFe principles/core values, including Lean UX, User Centered Design, and Design Thinking
• Experience leveraging and interpreting agile metrics
• Experience partnering with User Experience (UX) designers, researchers, architects, content strategists, and leaders
• Scrum Master experience with teams working on complex large-scale applications
• Experience with Agile collaboration tools such as CA Rally, Confluence, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, etc.
• Understanding of resource allocations, forecasting, and budgeting.
• Strong critical thinker who makes balanced, insightful decisions
• A natural leader that leads by example
• Possesses a constant sense of urgency
• Fact-based problem solver with the ability to evaluate alternative courses of action and make sound management decisions
• Collaborative style, with the ability to establish working relationships across the senior management team, business units, as well as with external advisors and constituents
• Self-starters, problem solvers; comfortable jumping in as needed to support the team
• Creates a safe environment for everyone to bring their whole selves to work every day
• Experience with consumer-facing digital products and/or building platforms.
• Strong technical aptitude and experience leading teams in delivering quality software
• Excellent communication (written, oral, presentations), holistic view and systems thinker
• Able to lead without “Command and Control” style (servant leadership), empathetic
• Proactive, problem-solving approach – someone who offers solutions not problems for others to solve. Comfortable jumping in as needed to support the Train
• Effective communicator with strong interpersonal skills/collaborative style and the ability to establish strong working relationships and influence peers and stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate large planning and solutioning sessions
• Understanding of Agile at scale philosophies & methodologies. Experience working in an Agile organization using Scrum, XP, Kanban, Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), or other scaling model
• Synthesize data from multiple sources and uses that information to develop insights on train's status
• Willing to try new things, check and see if they worked, and then change and adapt
• Experience using Agile best practices, i.e., burn-down charts, different retrospective formats, defect management, user stories, ATDD, TDD, BDD, CI/CD, automated testing, etc.
• Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Work Experience; Master's Preferred
• Certified SAFe Program Consultant (SPC), SAFe Release Train engineer (RTE) certification, SAFe Scrum Master certification, or another scrum master or agile coaching certification Preferred
At CVS Health, we are joined in a common purpose: helping people on their path to better health. We are working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, easier to use, less expensive and patient-focused. Working together and organizing around the individual, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the heart.
We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CVS Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring or promotion based on race, ethnicity, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status or on any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities.
Apply on company website