Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center is seeking a Physician with pain management experience with proven leadership skills and a vision for the future to join our team of dedicated professionals who provide health care to veterans that is second to none.
Position may be filled prior to the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for this vacancy. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks. If filled prior to the closing date, this recruitment will be terminated.
Note 1:Once appointed, If you meet all established criteria, you may be eligible to apply for partial student loan reimbursement under the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), subject to available funding. You will be required to make contact with the Program Coordinator in Human Resources within 30 days of your appointment date to confirm your eligibility and initiate application paperwork.
Note 2: Physician is required to be a collaborating physician for one or more mid-level providers upon request.
Physician duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:.
· Work on a team setting with other physicians, nurse practitioners, psychologists, clinical pharmacists, physical therapists, registered nurses, and support staff assigned to perform duties to accomplish the treatment of patients. · Responsible for developing and implementing treatment recommendations for a wide range of pain syndrome diagnoses. · Develop and implement treatment recommendations for a wide range of pain syndrome diagnoses. · Confer with and serve as a consultant to other clinicians, including Physiatrist · Provide various levels of care such as evaluating medical histories, completing physical exams, orders, analyzing appropriate tests and laboratory exams. · Prescribe medication and rehabilitation services. · Provide counseling to patients and families. · Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team, coordinating care with other medical and mental health care providers. · Work with the multidisciplinary team which includes, but is not limited to a Pharmacist, Physical Therapist, Registered Nurse, and Psychologist. · Conduct the study of pain, prevention of pain, and the evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation of Veterans in pain.
Work Schedule:Monday-Friday (Full Time) (Day tour with expectations of some extended hours)
Financial Disclosure Report:Not requiredTravel Required
Not requiredSupervisory status
- Job family (Series)
0602 Medical Officer
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship; non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Applicants pending the completion of educational or certification/licensure requirements may be referred and tentatively selected but may not be hired until all requirements are met.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements:Satisfactory physical examination as determined by the Employee Health Unit upon appointment only. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019 ( http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/HRLibrary/Dir-Policy.htm ). Functional requirements include moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); walking and standing and standing for 2 to 4 hours; Both legs required; Both eyes required Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; (hearing aid permitted).Education
Note:Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here:http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit:http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.ResponsibilitiesTuscaloosa VA Medical Center is seeking a Physician with pain management experience with proven leadership skills and a ...
Apply on company website