Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day!® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 16,500 stores in 46 states as of May 1, 2020. In addition to high-quality private brands, Dollar General sells products from America's most-trusted manufacturers such as Clorox, Energizer, Procter & Gamble, Hanes, Coca-Cola, Mars, Unilever, Nestle, Kimberly-Clark, Kellogg's, General Mills, and PepsiCo. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
- Utilizing robust TMS optimization engines, plan and optimize all domestic FOB merchandise and assign to proper modes and carriers on a daily basis
- Identify and resolve on-time flow exceptions utilizing JDA and in-house developed exception-based software. Communicate appropriate information to internal and external customers
- Ensure efficient flow through US consolidation centers by providing timely and accurate tenders, vendor resolution, appropriate cut-offs, disposition, and expedited support when needed
- Work with DCs to resolve any unexpected issues such as appointment compliance, seal discrepancies, OS&D, mis-routed merchandise, improper paperwork, etc.
- Reviews merchandise orders and determine proper execution based on cost, service, and future incoming flows
- Track all domestic FOB PO flow from vendors, consolidation centers, and DC yards to ensure low level of demurrage and detention
- Manage carrier base ensuring they know how they are measured, how they can succeed and how they are doing against those measurements
- Acts as a primary point of contact for carriers on operational processes while acting as liaison between carrers and DG's internal supply chain (demand chain) teams for customer service
- Leads Carrier Business Reviews both on site at DG Store Support Center and carrier's location
- Work with transportation providers and freight payment team to ensure proper accessorial cost and flows
- Work with dedicated backhaul operations to ensure proper modal assignment for optimal cost and service.
Operational and Financial Administration
- Ensure timely and accurate vendor chargebacks are identified, calculated, and processed where appropriate
- Research and process all carrier submitted accessorial charges on a timely basis
- Research and process all damage and loss claims
- Research and advise DCs on trailer seal and merchandise discrepancies
- Work with vendor and merchant to ensure proper call-in procedures are followed.
Analytics and Reporting
- Ensure all data utilized from JDA/TMS and other in-house systems is accurate and is provided timely
- Work with providers and internal team to develop and implement operational efficiencies within the network to drive out costs and improve service levels to the DCs
- Work directly with Manager to negotiate carrier procurement and pricing
- Monitor service levels and exceptions of multi-modal transportation providers, consolidation center operators, and all other 3rd party logistics providers to ensure adequate service levels on a consistent basis
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of transportation modes and regulations, with an emphasis on Truckloads, Intermodal, LTL, and LTL consolidation operations and their primary cost drivers
- Communicates across boundaries, both internal and external, with ease and clarity via verbal and written mediums and builds strong relationships with business partners
- Strong knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and a base knowledge of Access databases
- Strong knowledge of merchandising, distribution, transportation, inventory management and supply chain concepts
- Proficient in usage of transportation optimzation software to perform routing, tendering, scheduling and shipment tracking. Must apply that knowledge and proficiency to monitor transportation activities and identify/resolve issues.
- Strong business acumen with a demonstrated ability to transform working knowledge into tactical decision making to support business objectives; deals with ambiguity well
- Broad general knowledge of logistics and a deep working knowledge and skill set leading domestic transportation and logistics operations in a complex, multi-site DC environment
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize workload in order to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated willingness and cuiosity to dig-in and find answers to the "unknowns" that come up during business activity
- Ability to be a team player and customer service driven
- 25% travel required
Work Experience and/or Education
- Bachelor's degree in Business or Logistics preferred, or comparable experience of 3-5 years in transportation operations for a retailer, manufacturing company, major carrier, or logistics company. JDA TM 8.3 experience a plus
Apply on company website