Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day!® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 16,500 stores in 46 states as of May 1, 2020. In addition to high-quality private brands, Dollar General sells products from America's most-trusted manufacturers such as Clorox, Energizer, Procter & Gamble, Hanes, Coca-Cola, Mars, Unilever, Nestle, Kimberly-Clark, Kellogg's, General Mills, and PepsiCo. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
The Senior Public Relations Manager helps promote, protect and strengthen Dollar General's reputation by managing relationships with the media by providing factual and timely communication that helps best positions the company to support its reputation and support sales. This person will proactively pitch positive media stories, responding to media inquiries, drafting routine press releases, investigating potential issues and drafting media communication. This person also helps coordinate media engagement and other public events at which press will be in attendance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Research internal information to accurately draft press releases, media advisories, newsroom blogs, media pitches, social media responses and other miscellaneous communication to news media, customers and outside organizations under the direction of the Director of Public Relations on issues including community relations, product/merchandising offerings, human resources, supply chain, company events and others.
- Independently spearhead proactive efforts aimed at furthering Dollar General's community initiatives and merchandising initiatives to generate earned media and awareness to support sales.
- Serve as an official company spokesperson through the development and execution of PR strategies for proactive, reactive and crisis situations across all business functions.
- Monitor incoming emails and calls to the DGPR hotline/email box including on nights and weekends; Respond to and escalate issues as needed; Record all media interactions in the comprehensive media log.
- Support the Company's real estate media program in coordination with the PR coordinator and internal partners to draft responses to controversial projects, respond to reactive media inquiries on existing and future store locations and otherwise manage the real estate message.
- Research issues and draft appropriate responses to brand and reputation-related matters through social media escalations in partnership with the Director of Public Relations
- Generate, edit, distribute and archive comprehensive news summaries for ongoing campaigns, quarterly earnings and executive reports.
- Maintain archives for press releases; carry out miscellaneous tasks and duties as directed.
- Facilitate media responsibilities in the absence of and in partnership with the Director of Public Relations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Thoughtful, creative, precise and sound writing skills
- Creative and strategic thinker; Strong editorial judgment
- Understanding of the news industry, how news is made, the makeup of a newsroom and news cycle.
- Broad knowledge of current events and American business news
- Diplomatic phone, email and interpersonal skills
- Curiosity, strong initiative and ability to research issues thoroughly and independently
- Strong writing samples (published or unpublished); Knowledge and implementation of AP style
- Passion for storytelling, communication and public relations.
- Interest in ongoing professional development.
- Compelling Public Relations plans, strategic thinking and ability for tactical implementation
Work Experience &/or Education:
Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, or related field with 7-10 years of relevant experience. Previous on-camera experience and corporate and/or retail media relations/communications preferred. Strong, professional writing experience required.
Apply on company website