DriveTime Needs a Sales Tax Accountant
Headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, DriveTime is the largest privately owned used car sales and finance company in the country (yes, we are THAT good)! With more than 130 dealerships, 3 operations centers and 20 reconditioning centers across the nation, our 5,000+ employees are focused on getting the right customer in the right car, at the right terms. With over 25 years of industry experience, and our dedication to streamlining the purchase process, we're redefining what it means to buy and finance a used car.
As focused as we are on our customer, we take that same focus on finding the right talent for the right opportunities within our organization. All across the nation, from our Home Office and operations centers to our retail locations and reconditioning centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That's Nice, But What's the Job?
In short, as the Sales Tax Accountant you will work directly and primarily with the Tax Department at Home Office (Tempe) and various other Company personnel to ensure the Company's compliance with all applicable sales tax and other indirect tax rules and requirements, including preparation of such returns.
In long, the Sales Tax Accountant is responsible for:
- Preparing monthly sales tax data files used to prepare 200+ sales tax returns, including review of prepared returns received from outside vendor
- Assisting in the reconciliation of general ledger accounts relating to sales and use tax
- Identifying use tax liabilities through review of fixed asset and supply purchases and assisting in improving processes relating to use tax compliance
- Having frequent communication with dealership personnel regarding their sales tax collection and remittance questions
- Communicating with state, county and city level departments of revenue to interpret various tax collection, remittance and licensing questions
- Periodic software testing to ensure sales rules match documented research
- Gaining in depth understanding of various retail product offerings and each state's taxation of such products
- Independently performing research to minimize sales tax liability of both customer and the Company, including filing methods, deductions, and exemptions
- Retrieving and responding to tax notices and data requests as part of various state and local sales tax audits
- Providing timely responses to sales tax questions submitted by customers and internal departments
- Assist in reconciling the payment of certain costs the Company pays to local counties and DMVs on behalf of our customers
- May provide some review of annual business licenses prepared by Legal Department
- Assist in property tax data gathering, compliance, and analysis
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to talk and write with confidence, charisma and competence for a wide variety of audiences – especially between accounting and non-accounting folks.
- Collaborative communicator. You will be having frequent communication with team members regarding status updates and project timelines and status
- A mind for the details. Okay we know “detail-oriented” is on about every job description – but we really mean it!
- Agile in a fast-paced environment. We move, and we move quickly. Thriving in an environment that never stops, is a must.
- Works well in a time crunch. You'll need the ability to manage large volumes of data processing in short, deadline-driven time frames
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, or related major, with ability and desire to earn Master's Degree and/or higher level certification (CPA, IPT, CMI)
- Intermediate to proficient user of MS Excel
- Some public accounting, industry experience, educational courses regarding income or sales taxes
- Experience researching varied state and local regulations, forms, instructions and rules for tax purposes
Anything Else? Absolutely.
DriveTime was awarded Top Companies to Work for in AZ by AZCentral.com for our great culture and one of the Best Places to Work in IT as awarded by PBJ. Essentially we offer a creative, transparent and fun environment since, well, we work here too. DriveTime was also voted the Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc 5000, and we aren't slowing down anytime soon!
So What About the Perks? Perks matter.
- Medical, Dental and Vision. DriveTime pays a nice chunk of your premiums to keep the cost as low as possible for our employees.
- 16 days of PTO and 6 paid Holidays. Because who doesn't love time off?
- Benefits like 401(k), company paid life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- Casual Dress. Come dressed in jeans (you'll fit right in with the rest of us).
- Game Room. Gimme a break – no, not a Kit Kat ad but we do have a ping-pong table, pool table and Virtual Reality if you ever need a break in your day.
- Wellness Program and In-House Gym. We want our employees to be the best versions of themselves. That's why we offer a Wellness Program that includes an in-house gym, B12 shots, teeth cleanings, biometric screenings and much more!
- Growth opportunities. DriveTime takes a lot of pride in promoting from within. We have spent the last 14 years growing our team members and taking them on the path to owning their careers!
Apply on company website