Intertek is searching for an experienced OSHA NRTL Electrical Safety Engineer to join our Transportation Technologies team in our Kentwood, MI office. This is a fantastic opportunity to grow a versatile career in electrical safety.
Our Value Proposition
We offer a salary and benefits package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, and more. In addition to our comprehensive benefits package, our Engineers are offered:
- Day to day variety with the ability to work on multiple projects
- Tuition reimbursement is available in an applicable technical field
- Flexible hours
- Ability to earn more knowledge and become certified in various test areas
- Opportunities for growth as a higher-level Engineer through training and experience
- Employee referral bonuses
What will you be doing?
This position is responsible for performing testing and evaluation on a variety of products to the provisions of client-provided or other national, international or industry-specific performance and durability standards or U.S., Canadian and other International product safety standards; writing reports; and communicating with clients.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Will work on OSHA NRTL safety evaluations
- Under the guidance of a more senior engineer, conduct on and off-site evaluation of products to determine compliance with applicable standard(s). To do this, Engineer must:
- Read and determine applicability of national codes and standards clauses for the EUT (equipment under test).
- Read and understand client-provided or otherwise published performance or product safety standards.
- Read and understand electrical and mechanical schematics and manufacturing instructions.
- Validate the project scope and sample applicability.
- Under scope of the project, identify and locate test instruments and equipment required for testing.
- Follow established test plan.
- Set up and operate EUT; perform and document simple repairs on EUT as needed.
- Conduct thorough construction review, or sample inspection as needed, document results.
- Perform testing of products in accordance with standards. Core tests may include but are not limited to: Battery Cycling (Charge/Discharge), Temperature/Humidity soak or cycle, durability cycling, Voltage and Current measurement, dielectric, pressure, abnormal and fault condition simulation, rain, dust, corrosion.
- May set up and operate standard test equipment including, but not limited to: Temperature/Humidity Chambers; Programmable Power Supplies; PLC or other controllers; pneumatic, hydraulic, or electric actuators; AC/DC power supplies and loads; oscilloscope; multi-meter; dielectric strength tester; ground continuity tester; digital multi-meter; surge generator; over-voltage tester; environmental condition chamber; and articulated probes. Use hand tools to build/calibrate test fixtures.
- Following sample handling procedures, ensure that sample is logged into and out of the system. Move equipment as needed through the facility. Properly package sample for shipment.
- Compile test results during construction review and testing. Compile data and product description and type final report using established report shell. Submit report to reviewer for final approval.
- Communicate project status and test results to client, sales personnel, and management throughout testing. Provide on-going support to clients as needed.
- Within policy guidelines, identify, properly document, and recommend engineering judgments.
- Perform other duties as required.
What qualifications do you need?
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering; Electrical or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- 2 years of experience with OSHA NRTL electrical safety evaluations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Other essential requirement/qualification.
- Be aware of, and adhere to, safety practices and policies to ensure your own safety, as well as the safety of others who may be affected by your actions at work
- Ability to work in fast-paced, multi-tasking environment with shifting priorities and demanding deadlines
- Must be detailed-oriented and able to effectively prioritize and organize workload, with efficient time management
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively in verbal written and presentation formats
- Must possess the fundamental technical and administrative skills required to perform the job duties
- Must be customer focused and quality driven
- Ability to travel as business needs dictate
PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior project management experience is a plus.
Why work at Intertek?
Intertek is a world leader in the $250 billion Quality Assurance market, with a proven, high-quality business model and a global network of customer-focused operations and highly engaged subject matter experts. At Intertek, we exercise our spirit of innovation, the passion of our people and our unmatched customer commitment to realize our purpose of making the world an ever better, safer, and more sustainable place for all. Learn more about Our History and What We Do.
Intertek is committed to a safe work environment for our employees and clients. Learn more about our COVID-19 Policy.
What we have to offer:
When Working with Intertek, you can expect salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
Intertek believes that Our People are our strongest tool for success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, or who need assistance applying, please email email@example.com or call 1-877-694-8543 (option #5) to speak with a member of the HR Department.
Apply on company website