To assist with the maintenance of all district vehicles to ensure that they present no problems or interruptions to the educational program.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Perform mechanical repairs on buses to include major overhauls if directed, as necessary.
- Make emergency service calls for stranded buses or other district vehicles.
- Make recommendations to the supervisor for ordering and stocking all necessary repair parts necessary supplies
- Maintain the shop area in a clean, orderly and safe condition.
- Assist in the service and repair of other district motor vehicles and equipment as needed.
- Maintain, repair, and inspect tires and rims, and maintains records of district vehicles.
- Perform complete safety inspections as required.
- Replace and adjust brakes, belts, and hoses.
- Write requisitions, order parts, and ensure parts are received in a timely manner.
- Assist in the service and repair of school vehicles as needed.
- Perform service calls to vehicles that break during route or activity operations.
- Must meet all the requirements and be able to perform the duties of a Bus Operator and occasionally drive route or activity buses.
- Responsible for reading, understanding, and performing all work orders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINES
- Graduation from an accredited high school or GED.
- Valid Texas Class “B” Commercial Driver's License with Passenger & School Bus endorsements.
- Driving record must meet State point requirements and district standard for driving district vehicles.
- Must pass physical, including drug test.
- Experience in the repair and preventative maintenance of heavy equipment. Experience in the repair and preventative maintenance of school buses and other motor vehicles preferred.
- Knowledge of automotive trade practices, tools, and equipment; construction and operation of automotive electrical systems and internal combustion engines; safety hazards and necessary precautions required to work around vehicle;
- Skill in basic record keeping; ordering parts from various parts manuals; and safe driving principles and practices
- Ability to locate and repair defects in automotive vehicles and equipment; use tools and operate diagnostic and power equipment employed in the repair and adjustment of engines and components; perform diagnostic and mechanical repair work; use welding and other shop equipment such as lathes and grinders; change and repair tires; work cooperatively with others; read, interpret, understand, and apply technical manuals, schematics, diagrams, specifications, and parts catalog.
- Ability to understand, remember and apply oral and/or written instructions of other information.
- Must move about within shop to perform maintenance work.
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Constantly positions self to be able to reach items on ground or above head.
- Manipulate hands and fingers to operate a variety of specialized tools and equipment.
- Frequent bending, kneeling, crouching, turning and twisting.
- Occasional carrying, pushing, or pulling boxes and engines.
- Frequently crawling under vehicles.
- Must regularly lift and/or move 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Clarity of vision at varying distances to observe diagnostic instruments, manuals, and other printed information.
- May be required to physically assist students into bus.
- Ability to regularly pick up 40 pounds.
- Able to clean windshields, adjust mirrors, open/close windows
- Able to move or lift injured students (up to 180 pounds) to evacuate bus.
- Ability to carry or drag a 125-pound person 30 feet in 30 seconds in the case of an emergency
- Work in hot, dry, and dusty conditions as well as possibly cold, wet, and damp areas.
- Work near or with moving mechanical equipment.
- Occasionally work with toxic or caustic chemicals such as petroleum products, degreasers, and sprays and non-household dust.
- Will be exposed to intermittent sounds of a loud nature.
- May drive vehicle in inclement weather.
- May drive in heavy traffic or on unfamiliar roads and in situations requiring precise maneuvering.
- Power/electric tools, tires, bus parts, computer, racks, jacks, air compressor, air pressure gauges, grinders.
- Must be able to provide and be responsible for own personal hand and power tools.
Apply on company website