We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Job TitleLegal Counsel (Senior) - EuropeAll About Us
Mastercard is looking for an energized commercial attorney to join its dynamic legal team to serve as a legal partner to the Data & Services (D&S) group of Mastercard. Mastercard D&S provides end-to-end solutions through its innovative and proprietary transaction data analyses, data-driven consulting, predictive analyses, and marketing and loyalty services to help our clients strategically optimize, streamline, and grow their businesses.
Under the direction of the VP, Senior Managing Counsel, Services & Strategic Growth, this position will provide legal and general support for the Mastercard D&S business in the Europe (EUR) and Eastern Europe, Middle East & Africa (EEMEA) markets, and support global, team-wide initiatives.
The position is located in London and primarily support Eastern Europe.
All About The Role
• Structure, draft, and negotiate high-volume commercial contracts ranging
from simple statements of work to complex partnership and novel/strategic
deals. Typical agreements include transactional agreements, consulting
agreements, platform agreements, SaaS agreements, marketing and
promotional campaign agreements;
• Align and collaborate across various business and legal teams, including with
other D&S legal team members and EUR and EEMEA regional counsels;
• Develop/Assist with and execute global initiatives to support the evolution of
the D&S legal team;
• Collaborate with team members on product development and go-to-market
• Strategic partner and trusted advisor to a demanding business unit;
counseling the business on deal matters as well as general business matters;
High level of interaction with business clients;
• Manage wide-ranging issues such as data usage/privacy, intellectual property,
compliance, regulatory, and tax by partnering with subject matter experts in
these areas and other stakeholder teams, and balancing these issues against
reputational risk to ensure product constructs and commercial agreements
are consistent with corporate strategy, internal policies and procedures and
applicable laws and regulations; and
• Provide back-up support to other colleagues on the D&S legal team as needed.
All About You
• Solid transactional training and experience (preferably from a highly reputable
law firm); Must have strong drafting and negotiations skills with the ability to
manage complex issues and deal structure; (Ideally 5 years PQE+)
• Ability to manage, perform and enjoy highly repeatable and high-volume work
in addition to strategic and unique issues;
• Must be pragmatic, solutions-oriented, business-friendly, creative, thought
provoker, and an advocate for the business and have a “let's make it happen”
• Must have leadership skills in bringing different perspectives together and
work through competing priorities;
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, including with our
global colleagues, but also take direction from manager and other team
members, as appropriate;
• Must multi-task effectively in an extremely fast-paced team environment with
short turnaround times;
• Must have strong communication skills to interact with clients and colleagues;
• Must be a team player and willing to take on responsibilities and roles that
support the team, region, department and the company;
• Must be interested in significant contact with the business clients on a daily
basis with respect to transactional issues as well as other strategic issues
that have a significant impact on Mastercard's operations, strategies and
• A UK qualified solicitor
• Fluent English + Additional Eastern European language beneficial
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the D&S business.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
- Abide by Mastercard's security policies and practices;
- Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
- Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
- Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard's guidelines.
Apply on company website