We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Job TitleSenior Counsel, Intellectual PropertyOverview
Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property
Mastercard's Intellectual Property team has an opening for a Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property that would provide support and expertise in the areas of patent portfolio management as well as strategic advice on a wide array of intellectual property matters. As Senior Counsel, you will work closely with technologists and business stakeholders to identify and protect innovation, develop and execute IP portfolio strategy, and advise on complex transactions and agreements.
• Work proactively with engineers, technologists, and business teams to identify, capture, and protect innovations, including reviewing invention disclosures and conducting inventor interviews to assess inventiveness and patentability of concepts
• Oversee and manage U.S. and foreign outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications
• Oversee, manage, and maintain patent portfolios across multiple jurisdictions
• Conduct patentability and freedom to operate assessments
• Advise on and assist in drafting and negotiating agreements, including licenses, joint development agreements, master service agreements, software-as-a-service agreements, and other technology agreements
• Conduct diligence in connection with a range of strategic transactions, including substantial collaborations and M&A transactions
• Provide counsel on the impact of intellectual property issues on business operations and activities by proactively identifying and implementing initiatives to minimize risk and advising on the development and implementation of intellectual property protection strategies
• Oversee and assist outside counsel with patent litigation and other disputes that involve intellectual property issues
• Advise and educate internal business clients on a broad range of intellectual property, licensing, and related legal issues
• Assist in creating content for the intellectual property team websites, for the intellectual property team educational and outreach presentations, and for other intellectual property related communications within the company
• Support business teams by providing intellectual property legal assistance as needed on a project-by-project basis
• Forge relationships with business and technology leaders across the company
All About You
• JD degree from an accredited law school, state bar admission, and registration to practice before the USPTO
• Bachelor's degree in the physical sciences or engineering, preferably in electrical engineering, computer/software engineering, mechanical engineering, physics, or mathematics
• Demonstrated experience as a practicing patent attorney either in an in house legal department or at a law firm, including experience with drafting and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications, portfolio management, and development and execution of intellectual property protection strategies
• Strong legal, analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects and to meet deadlines
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we're all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Apply on company website