BASIC FUNCTION: Perform a variety of proficient, specialized administrative assistant duties in an assigned area requiring excellent communication skills; utilize specialized knowledge and independent judgment involving frequent and responsible public contact; analyze and interpret data; plan, organize and coordinate office activities and communications to relieve the administrator of routine duties; provide for accurate and timely entry of a variety of data into various computer software programs.
The Administrative Assistant I is distinguished from the Administrative Assistant II in that the higher Level II position requires more experience, performs more difficult and complex duties, and is required to demonstrate validated test skills at a higher proficiency (see Minimum Qualifications: Training, Education and Experience). The Administrative I performs proficient, specialized duties. The Administrative Assistant II performs diverse, technical duties.
Administrative Assistant III is distinguished from Administrative Assistant I/II in that the former is required to use initiative, organizational skills, technical and problem solving skills, and independent judgment in the processing of administrative duties with minimal supervision. Administrative Assistant III classification may support one or more managers.
Administrative Assistant III is distinguished from the Office Manager in that the former does not have any direct reports.
(Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but are intended to reflect the principal job elements accurately.)
E = Essential Functions
- Compute statistical data for Federal, State and District reports and special projects as assigned. E
- Interpret and apply rules and regulations as appropriate. E
- Coordinate communications; obtain and provide information; coordinate activities and resolve issues and complaints. E
- Independently compose correspondence in English. E
- Respond to complaints according to District procedures and guidelines. E
- Schedule meetings, conferences and appointments; maintain calendar(s) of assigned staff, reserve meeting sites; make travel arrangements; contact and confirms appointments and meetings; attend meetings, take minutes as necessary, prepare minutes and summaries of action taken. E
- Process administrative details not requiring the immediate attention of the administrator. E
- Research, analyze, review, correct, and compile a variety of information; verify data for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established procedures. E
- Prepare and maintain a variety of records, logs and files, including information of a confidential nature; maintain confidentiality of information and records. E
- Operate a computer to enter, update, and access a variety of records and information into various computer software programs; operate various telephone systems and other office equipment. E
- Assign and direct the work of other employees as required. E
- Attend job related meetings as assigned. E
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Administrative Assistant III: Perform all the essential functions of Administrative Assistant I and II as stated above in addition to the following:
- Perform highly responsible, proficient, and complex administrative, and office functions requiring an advanced level of initiative, organizational skills, technical and problem solving skills, and independent judgment; maintain office records; execute administrative policies. E
- Assume primary responsibility for the implementation of designated activities and operations of the department. E
- Identify, plan and implement office administrative procedures and policies as directed. E
- Complete primary clerical assignments as assigned where knowledge, judgment and discretion are critical. E
- Prepare reports and presentations using a variety of technology and programs as assigned. E
- Research and facilitate inquiries and refer inquiries to appropriate sources for consideration and action. E
- Coordinate, analyze and organize office staff, operations and procedures such as data entry, bookkeeping, monitoring school site/department budgets, preparing timesheets, composing correspondence, filing, requisitioning of supplies, and other assigned duties. E
- Receive, process, facilitate, and disseminate information between the school site/department and other District school sites/departments, and the general public; maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information; ensure timely responses as necessary. E
- Monitor and record staff attendance; prepare school site/department attendance reports for payroll. E
- Assist in the monitoring of the school site/department budget; prepare purchase requisitions; maintain equipment inventory; order equipment and other supplies; resolve invoice discrepancies; initiate, prepare, and submit budget revisions and corrections. E
- Utilize personal and network computers for word processing, school site/departmental budget management, database management and systems applications (IFAS, HRSS, MS Office). E
- Perform related duties as assigned.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Administrative Assistant I: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: Associate's Degree and two years of relevant experience.
Administrative Assistant II: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: Associate's Degree and four years of relevant experience.
Administrative Assistant III: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: Associate's Degree, plus related courses and six years of relevant experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Administrative Assistant I: Pass District's test with 70% passing rate
- Administrative Assistant II: Pass District's test with 85% passing rate
- Administrative Assistant III: Pass District's test with 90% passing rate and pass basic accounting
- Valid California Driver's License
- Employment eligibility will include fingerprints, tuberculosis and/or other employment clearance
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary and punctuation
- Specialized record-keeping techniques
- Proficient, specialized office procedures, computers and other office equipment
- Telephone techniques, systems and etiquette
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- District policies, applicable sections of the State Education Code and other laws and regulations
- Perform a variety of proficient, specialized administrative assistant duties in an assigned area involving specialized knowledge and independent judgment
- Understand and interpret District and other rules, policies and procedures
- Understand and follow oral and written directions in English
- Compose correspondence and other written documents independently
- Maintain records; analyze situations and data accurately and take appropriate action
- Meet schedules and time lines
- Operate a computer and other office equipment
- Organize and coordinate office activities; assign and review the work of others
- Work cooperatively with others and meet District standards of professional attitude
- Understand and work within scope of authority
- Work independently, with little direction, confidential and discretion
- Complete work accurately despite many interruptions
Office environment, with constant interruptions; travel to conduct District business
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations; seeing to read, write and use the computer; kneeling and bending at the waist, reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; lifting moderately heavy objects.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website