BASIC FUNCTION: Provide a clean and secure learning environment; lead and participate in the work of the assigned crew; assign work as necessary and ensure that scheduled work is completed in the accordance with established standards; perform and coordinate minor, non-technical repair; coordinate the work of other custodial staff.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to accurately reflect the principal job elements).
E = Essential Functions D = Days Only
- May assist with storage, distribution, and inventory of custodial supplies. E
- Arrange custodial coverage for Civic Center and/or overtime functions, where applicable. E
- Responsible for reporting repair requests to site administrator or designee. E
- Communicate with site administrators and staff, Custodial Services Supervisors and the Director of Custodial Services. E
- May coordinate the work of custodians and the maintenance of sites, equipment, and adjacent grounds. E
- Perform a full range of custodial duties and routinely inspect the site to ensure that established standards of cleanliness are maintained. E
- May inspect and make minor non-technical repairs. E Receive and store custodial supplies and equipment. E/D Maintain equipment inventory and service records. E/D
- Perform monthly maintenance inspections on equipment, including but not limited to fire extinguisher. E/D
- Assist in maintaining site security and fire safety. E
- Inspect or coordinate the inspection of restrooms a minimum of three times per day and complete restroom inspection forms. E/D
- Operate and maintain boiler, heater, and electrical equipment, when necessary. E/D
- Perform related duties as assigned.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: graduation from high school or a GED and two years experience as a district custodian including experience in all phases of custodial maintenance.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Personality and character suitable to work in schools.
Employment eligibility that may include fingerprints, Tuberculosis and/or other employment clearance.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES: KNOWLEDGE OF:
All custodial cleaning procedures and functions Safe work practices and procedures
Health and safety regulations Basic record keeping
- Lead and direct personnel Take responsibility
- Be courteous and professional with others
- Teach others and demonstrate methods and procedures
- Operate a gas-powered sweeper and pressure washers, upright and backpack vacuums, floor machines and use all tools and material provided
- Provide leadership to other custodial staff Provide written/oral instruction to staff Effectively manage supplies
- Prepare cleaning plans for summer, winter and spring recess Calmly resolve crises or problems
- Maintain courteous and professional relationship when communicating with staff, students and public
- Read and interpret work schedules Operate security systems
- Write legibly
- Demonstrate reading and comprehension skills at an 8th grade level. Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret work schedules
WORKING CONDITIONS: ENVIRONMENT:
Fast-paced work with constant interruptions; indoor and outside environment in different weather conditions; moderate to extreme noise level; exposure to harsh substances and foul odors; working at heights above ground on ladders; driving a vehicle to conduct work; exposure to chemicals related to cleaning; working around machinery with moving parts.
Read and understand fine print on labels; hearing and speaking to understand normal conversation in person or on telephone; reaching horizontally and vertically with arms; using hands to operate hand and power tools; regularly lifting and carrying or pushing and pulling objects which weigh 50 pounds; standing for extended periods of time; bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website