BASIC FUNCTION: Maintain complete and accurate student academic school records for the District's middle and high school students; provide support to District personnel to ensure data accuracy, quality training and communications across all middle and high schools.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to reflect the principal job elements accurately.)
- Serve as District “point person” for students, families and District staff with regard to transcripts and historical records.
- Provide ongoing customer service to parents and community in a timely and highly professional manner on a daily basis and demonstrate the ability to embrace diversity.
- Maintain accurate and confidential student files and records related to transcripts and course work.
- Complete accurate and timely data entry of students' transcripts and course work records into the District's student information system.
- Request, receive, and review records, files, and transcripts for new students from their previous school districts.
- Evaluate newly-enrolled student transcripts to ensure courses completed at previous school are awarded proper credit for courses completed.
- Withdraw students according to established procedures; complete required forms and submit to the appropriate District school site and new school as requested.
- Communicate with appropriate District personnel, external school districts, county offices, consulates, and other involved parties to ensure accurate student records.
- Serve as a resource for District personnel to understand and evaluate transcripts, document credit accrual, and evaluation of international course equivalents and transcripts.
- Act as liaison between school site personnel and Central Office.
- Drive to schools to assist as needed.
- Plan and conduct trainings for District personnel to ensure consistency in transcript interpretation and documentation of credit accrual for domestic and international transcripts and to ensure District personnel are current on methods and practices and have the current skills needed to accurately perform the initial transcript evaluation; train new employees in transcript evaluation.
- Present information on administrative procedures, services, regulations, etc… to train and orient District staff, and to disseminate information.
- Develop and maintain a District Registrar's Manual and other related training and informational materials.
- Assist District personnel in the process of transcript evaluation as needed.
- Arrange for translation of international transcripts.
- Generate monthly data sets of student enrollment and record transfers.
- Complete and transmit a variety of records and reports, including graduation status reports for all 12th grade students.
- Protect confidentiality of records and information about students, and use discretion when sharing any such information within legal confines.
- Operate/use computers and/or electronic equipment as well as other equipment needed to fulfill job functions and responsibilities.
- Confer with Technology Services to identify and troubleshoot database problems.
- Conduct audits of processes and procedures at school sites to ensure compliance with established policies, procedures and education code.
- Serve as a resource to employees, parents and other organizations to interpret and convey appropriate procedures required for District operations.
- Assist in identifying processes and procedures to improve student records management as needed.
- Attend and participate in required District meetings.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: an Associate of Arts degree and six years of relevant experience as a High School Registrar or District Registrar of which three years must be in current District student information system processes and procedures.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Experience using electronic student information systems to monitor student progress
- Experience in educational record-keeping and transcript evaluation at the high school level including evaluation and interpretation of international transcripts
- Experience training adult learners preferred
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California Driver's License
Employment eligibility will include fingerprints, tuberculosis and/or other employment clearance
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Applicable federal, state, and District codes, regulations, policies and procedures governing work scope
A-G course designation and requirements for University of California and California State University eligibility
School district student information systems
Student transcript data evaluation processes
Record-keeping techniques and systems
Correct English usage in oral and written communication (grammar, spelling, and punctuation)
Strategies and techniques for customer service
Telephone techniques, systems and etiquette
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy
Presentation, communication, and public speaking techniques
Diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, ethnic, and disability backgrounds of District students and staff
Computer software, hardware, and related technology
Interpret and implement applicable laws, codes, policies, procedures, and District regulations governing work scope
Complete clerical assignments related to work scope.
Understand college admission requirements
Access designated websites to verify course equivalents from other districts
Communicate effectively in English orally and in writing
Understand and follow multi-step oral and written instructions
Read a variety of manuals and write documents following prescribed formats
Plan and organize work to meet internal and customer-established timelines and deadlines
Analyze situations accurately and adopt effective course of action
Perform computational tasks with accuracy
Maintain accurate and confidential records
Follow through on tasks completely, such as external student record requests
Model effective communication skills using tact, patience, and courtesy to understand and respond to the needs and expectations of customers
Respond promptly to requests from students/families and/or District staff to provide records and related information
Establish and maintain effective working relationships among students, families, and District staff
Prepare and deliver clear and concise presentations to a variety of audiences
Problem solve to identify issues and select action plan(s)
Operate personal computer, related software, and other office equipment
Office environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; fast-paced work; constant interruptions
Consistent mental alertness; sitting or standing for extended periods of time; lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling objects up to 30 pounds, occasionally 30+ pounds; bending and twisting at the waist, reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; dexterity of both hands and fingers while performing duties; seeing to read, write and use the computer; hearing and speaking to exchange information, in person or on the telephone, and make presentations.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website