IN-HOUSE VACANCY - INTERNAL CANDIDATES ONLY: Due to union restrictions, this position is only available to current employees of this school district for the first 7 days following the posted date. Applications submitted by job seekers not currently employed by the school district will not be considered during this time period.
BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, operate a mechanical sweeper to clean paved areas of district sites; drive a pickup truck and trailer to haul the sweeper from site to site during inclement weather or when the sweeper is inoperative, serve as a custodian at an assigned location, and to do related work as required.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to accurately reflect the principal job elements).
E = Essential Functions
- Work on a prescribed schedule, going from site to site, operating a mechanical sweeper to remove dirt and debris from parking lots, playgrounds, sidewalks and other paved areas; dispose of all debris collected. E
- Load and unload the sweeper from a trailer, connect trailer to pickup truck, and drive the truck and trailer from site to site. E
- Check the pickup truck and the sweeper as appropriate and at the beginning of work shifts to be sure that brakes, horn, head lights, tail lights, directional lights, brake lights, windshield wipers, etc., are in working order and check to be sure that oil is at the appropriate level and that the radiator and gas tanks are filled. E
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on the sweeper including changing the engine oil, lubricating the chassis, cleaning the carburetor filter and washing the vehicle. E
- Keep daily written records of sites visited, sweeping time and driving time between sites. E
- Serve as a custodian when assigned and during inclement weather. E
- May perform site surveillance work at a differential rate of pay as needed. E
- Perform related duties as assigned.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: Graduation from high school and sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Personality and character suitable to work in schools.
Employment eligibility that may include fingerprints, Tuberculosis and/or other employment clearance.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
Safe and efficient operating practices of mechanical sweeper, pickup truck and trailer
Traffic laws and regulations pertaining to operating a small truck and trailer
Clean materials and methods of sanitation
- Operate a mechanical sweeper and drive a pickup truck and trailer with care and safety in heavy traffic and in a school yard or other assigned area.
- Lift and move heavy objects
- Serve as a custodian when so assigned
- Read, write and understand directions in English
- Keep accurate work records and logs
Indoor and outdoor environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions; working around machinery with moving parts; vehicle operation in traffic.
Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate assigned tools and equipment; seeing to perform custodial work; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching; lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling moderately heavy objects; standing for extended periods of time; sitting for extended periods of time; performing heavy physical labor.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website