Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryConducts routine and stat laboratory tests for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease, and performs related duties, following established standards and practices under limited supervision.
- Performs analyses using appropriate procedures with precision and accuracy. Operates instruments and equipment accurately, using established protocol and QC. Evaluates the results obtained from patient and QC samples to assure validity before reporting values. Appropriately researches delta flags. Records and reports results correctly and legibly. Recognizes abnormal or unusual test results. 15%
- Uses correct technique, policy, and protocol in collection and process of all specimens. Verifies ID of patient, specimen and results. Properly aliquots specimens. Properly labels specimens with appropriate information. Uses correct alternate patient ID procedures if hospital armband is not available (RN ID, use of Typenex bracelets, etc.).15%
- Instructs new employees, students and residents at the bench in procedure, technique and theory. Documents proficiency utilizing individual checklists. Informs section leader or section manager in a timely manner of problems noted in an individual's training process. 10%
- Restocks an item in use, assuring its availability to the next person/shift. Maintains work area in a clean, orderly manner. Documents consistently receipt and opening of a supply. Monitors expiration dates of all supplies and reagents and follows established protocol. 10%
- Reviews pending log, OSR, worksheets, etc. for accuracy and completeness of work. Takes appropriate action as needed. Assures proper retention of all specimens for their designated time. Properly completes CMR in a timely manner. Leaves documentation (IRA, etc.) for appropriate manager. 10%
- Observes and responds correctly and immediately to safety violations and safety drills. Reports and documents immediately personal exposure to hazardous or infectious situations. Uses lab biosafety levels, universal precautions guidelines and available safety equipment when needed. Assures patient safety is maintained throughout collection/procedure (bed rails are returned to the original position, all phlebotomy equipment is removed, and all bleeding has stopped). Obeys all patient precautions at bedside or noted on order. 10%
- Employs good organizational talents and prioritizes tasks. Utilizes time efficiently. Reports results in a timely manner. Consistently observes meal and break periods according to workload and schedule; assesses appropriate times to take breaks. 10%
- Reports critical values according to Laboratory policy and documents verbal reports. Documents read-back of verbal reports.5%
- Documents personal CE attendance and presentations (1 = std not met; 2 = std met; 3 = 1.5 times std; expected hours per year same for all: FT, PT, PRN). 5%
- Completes all objectives from previous evaluation. 5%
- Completes all required 6-month and annual competencies in required time frame with documentation in personnel file. 5%
Associate's Degree or equivalent Medical Laboratory Technology Program Degree that meets ASCP or AMT requirements
In lieu of
Bachelor's degree in combination with a certificate/diploma in Medical Laboratory Science or completion of a 50 week U.S. military medical laboratory training course (per DD214).
Work ShiftEvening (United States of America)
Facility1510 Richland Hospital
Department15107020 Laboratory-Blood Bank
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website