Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryPerforms duties in Central Sterile Processing Department in Decontamination, Instrument Preparation and Assembly, and Sterilization/Disinfection relating to cleaning and sterilizing instruments and equipment to be used in patient care. Disassembles complex instruments, supplies and equipment; sorts and inspects for damage and reports needed repairs. Selects the mode of decontamination best suited for items on hand. Assembles, prepares and packages instrument trays, surgical instruments, equipment, and specialty items. Determines the appropriate sterilization or disinfection method and follows appropriate steps for reprocessing. Follows strict documentation guidelines for tray management, biological/chemical test results, equipment functionality, and reprocessing steps.
- Receives, sorts, disassembles and processes contaminated instruments and equipment using the procedures and guidelines as established by Infection Control. Removes soil, blood, tissue fragments and body fluids by wiping, soaking, rinsing, scrubbing and using ultrasonic or other mechanical methods, as applicable.
- Assembles all instrument sets following prescribed manner and as outlined on the Instrument Count Sheets. Properly documents missing items from the set and labels sets correctly. Takes action to correct problems with instrument sets and reports any unresolved issues.
- Sterilizes instruments, equipment, linen and supplies using various types of autoclaves and aerators. Reprocesses equipment via high level disinfection as appropriate. Loads and operates machinery in prescribed manner and sets controls to correct specifications for the items being sterilized.
- Properly documents all activities related to instrument/equipment decontamination, assembly, disinfection, and sterilization in the Instrument Tracking System (SPM, Censitrac) or established manual systems.
- Observe and interpret biological, mechanical and chemical monitors relevant to processing/sterilizing. Record results and maintains required records. Initiates recalls as required.
- Issues items to customers and departments according to established procedures.
- Observes and reports to supervisor any unfamiliar items with or without appropriate processing literature. Reports equipment requiring repair as needed. Is self-directed and intervenes with corrections to variances in the processing practice.
This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor, manager, director, or executive.
Job-related coursework beyond high school: Surgical Tech, Sterile Processing Tech, or Dental Assistant training program.
Certification as either 1) Sterile Processing Technician from either CBSPD or IAHCSMM or 2) Surgical Technologist from either NBSTSA or NCCT is preferred
Applicants without Sterile Processing or Surgical Technologist certification (CRCST, CSPDT, CST) are required to obtain CRCST certification via IAHCSMM within ONE (1) year of meeting the eligibility requirements to sit for the certification exam. Eligibility is defined by IAHCSMM as "10 weeks (400 hours) experience" in a Sterile Processing hospital setting.
Current incumbents of this job role, as of November 1, 2020, must obtain CRCST or CSPDT certification by December 31, 2021.
In Lieu Of The Above Minimum Requirements
In lieu of the education requirement only, will accept High School diploma or equivalent and 6 months experience in a hospital or clinical setting.
Other Required Skills and Experience
- 1 year of Sterile Processing or Surgical Technology preferred
- Experience with sterilization equipment (autoclaves, Sterrad, VPro, HLD equipment) and tray management systems (SPM, Censitrac) is preferred
- Knowledge of Decontamination, Assembly, Packaging and Sterilization Procedures. Knowledge of various types of Surgical Instrumentation preferred
- As of Jan 2002, any Prisma Health employee working in a sterile processing role is grandfathered from the High School diploma or GED requirement of this job.
Work ShiftVariable (United States of America)
LocationOconee Medical Campus
Facility1064 Oconee Memorial Hospital
Department10648007 Central Sterile
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website