SAIC seeks a qualified Scientific Systems Engineer for one of our programs supporting the FDA. SAIC supports the FDA and their scientists in Scientific Computing which includes but is not limited to; technical and research aspects (e.g., hardware, software, desktop support, infrastructure, virtualization all in a laboratory environment) supporting a variety of FDA Centers. This position will support CBER in Silver Springs, MD.
The IT Systems Engineer will be required to provide technical support for Windows and Mac OS X workstations in the FDA laboratory and office environment. He/she shall have expertise in setup, configuration, management and administration of Windows and OS X Scientific Workstations and integrating them with Active Directory/etc, to include network adapters and network routers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Perform software application maintenance on scientific workstations running a variety of operating systems including Mac OS X, Windows (some Linux).
- Perform routine and preventative maintenance such as general computer tasks, application loads, disk utilization, system loading and system monitoring, applying operating system patches, Antivirus updates
- Detect, isolate, document, rapidly report, and resolve system outages or problems encountered during operations of the scientific workstations, which includes the collections of diagnostic data, restoring the system operation, development of workarounds, and other activities necessary for recovery of a system
- Accurately document problems in logging and discrepancy reporting tools
- Work directly with the customer in most aspects of the day-to-day activities
- Respond to user calls regarding hardware and software problems, correcting or ensuring that problems are escalated when required. Communicate with users and senior management the status of key problem statuses
- Perform hands-on repair of equipment and maintenance/installation of computing infrastructure
- Maintain and troubleshoot all hardware associated with end-user computing, including printers, workstations, router switches, etc.
- Perform daily network maintenance including network backups and monitoring
- Implement continuous improvement methodology through the use of IT systems or procedure
- Maintain inventory of system assets
- Ensure compliance with FDA standards and security policies
- Additional responsibilities will include: End user documentation and training, computer moves and deployments, and additional duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- BS/MS in a scientific or technical discipline - (chemistry, physics), engineering (any), information systems, computer science, or a related field. We may accept an additional 4 years of experience in lieu of a Bachelors degree.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in scientific Computing support in the following related areas:
- Proficient in setup, configuration and administration of Windows 7&10, and MacOS X scientific computers
- Active Directory
- Windows Server Update Service
- Installing and configuring workstation security services
- Troubleshooting lab instrumentation systems and software
- Effective oral and written communication skills for documenting process and procedures and briefing reports required
- Must have demonstrated experience interfacing with highly technical customer base (scientists, researchers and physicians)
- Position requires either an active FDA Public Trust clearance or the ability to obtain prior to start
Apply on company website