DescriptionSAIC is hiring for the position of a REMOTE VMware VDI Engineer. This person is responsible for performing day-to-day activities required to administer VDI in support of end-users. The duties of this position are to provide broad spectrum tasks associated with managing the VMware VDI components in conjunction with other teams. The candidate will be required to work both independently and collaboratively to address incidents, problems, provide access management, and contribute to infrastructure enhancement projects. The candidate, in conjunction with team goals, will operate the VMware VDI to include taskings such as the configuration of new desktop images, deployment of application packages, optimization of the virtual environment, as well as standard maintainence on the managed products as appropriate. The VMware VDI Engineer will also contribute to the day to day management of the virtualization infrastructure running on a Cisco UCS compute platform and NetApp/Tintri datastores. Additional responsibilities may include the assisting the deskside and windows teams in the optimization of their standard configurations for a virtualized infrastructure. As with any operational role, monitoring alerts, managing the ticket queue, and keeping documentation up to date are a regular part of daily responsibilities. Candidate is required to have strong analysis and decision-making skills with the ability to participate in briefings, participate in technical cross-functional meetings, strong commitment to process, and understanding of change and configuration management principles. Candidate must be willing to provide 24/7 coverage (on-call rotation) and participate in after-hours updates and patching on a rotational basis.
- Operation and maintenance of the enterprise VMware VDI environment
- Administration of VMware's underlying hardware components including updates and patching
- Participate in after-hours shifts that respond to business emergency requests (on-call rotation)
- Participate in after-hours monthly patching rotation
- Establish project requirements and document high-level project plans, such as the deployment of new use cases to VDI
- Installations of new software and system upgrades including evaluation and installation of patches
- Actively monitor systems and resolve issues
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to perform project tasks in support of large projects.
- Bachelor's Degree and 3+ years of relevant experience. Additional work experience is acceptable in lieu of a Degree.
- Practical experience managing enterprise VMware VDI (Horizon) environments
- Hands on experience troubleshooting common VDI issues
- Application deployment experience (e.g. SCCM, PowerShell, etc.)
- Experience with creating and customizing VDI base Images
- Experience with Active Directory endpoint principles, such as group policies, distributed file system shares, end-user profile management.
- Ability to learn new products and technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Outstanding customer service and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability of end-to-end problem management and ownership
- Ability to create and manage work instructions, system and project documentation.
- Experience deploying DISA STIGs (or similar) to operating systems to create a configuration and security baseline
- Scripting knowledge to automate tasks and processes, PowerCLI.
- Understanding of system security concepts and mitigation strategies (POAMs, vulnerabilities)
Apply on company website