The Net Technical Assessment Group (NTAG) within SPA specializes in the application of multi-disciplinary analytic skills to support clients across the Department of Defense (DoD). One of NTAG's clients is the Strategic Intelligence and Analysis Cell (SIAC) within the Office of the Undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (OUSD(R&E)). SIAC supports the Department's modernization efforts by evaluating the technical capability of current and planned U.S. weapon systems relative to those of our adversaries. Our experienced military, technical, and operations research analysts are skilled in evaluating military problems, identifying the driving factors, devising innovative solutions, and performing structured assessments to help the Department understand how today's technology investment decisions will impact future war-fighting capabilities. This requisition will primarily support SIAC as part of the NTAG team.
We are seeking highly motivated, energetic problem solvers currently attending undergraduate or graduate institutions to assist senior analysts, programmers, and researchers working to address some of the most critical issues facing the Department of Defense today. Operations Research interns will have a unique opportunity to develop cutting edge methodologies to assess the impact of emerging technologies in a future war-fighting environment. This individual will work on a part time basis throughout the school year with the potential to transition to a full time internship during the summer semester and a full time position upon graduation.
- Work with our multidisciplinary team of experienced analysts to define problems, identify performance measures, and perform gap and root cause analysis in order to identify alternatives and recommendations to improve war-fighter effectiveness.
- Develop and apply structured methodologies to address client problem statements and analytic questions.
- Research, identify, and implement modern operations research-based approaches to analytic efforts across the scope of work.
- Develop analytic software tools as needed from simple, Excel-based models to robust military modeling and simulation in proprietary tool-sets.
- Work on individual skill development including project management, briefing and public speaking, and real-world analytic application.
- Assist in framing, development, and presentation of analysis including drafting briefing materials and various documents for executive audiences.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program or a Master's degree program in Operations Research, Statistics, Systems Engineering, or a similar field from an accredited institution.
- A successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to frame a problem, select an appropriate analytic method, identify data collection strategies, and derive results and conclusions.
- Knowledge of operations research techniques.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate complex technical subjects to technical and non-technical decision makers.
- Must be proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Experience with C++, Python, Java, or similar languages or software.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and to excel in a high pressure environment across multiple tasks.
- Must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain a DoD Secret clearance.
- Experience with CPLEX, COIN-OR, or other optimization software.
- Experience developing mathematical models to solve targeted problems.
- Current DoD Secret level clearance or higher.
Apply on company website