Join UChicago Medicine, as an Advanced Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) within the Heart and Vascular Center.
As an Advanced Practice Provider, you will be responsible for comprehensive direct patient care management. This specific APP role will work within the Heart and Vascular Center to support the bloodless program and other programs of distinction.
In this role, the APP will manage a caseload of patients and exercise autonomous decision making in the assessment, diagnosis and initiation of delegated medical treatments. The scope of practice includes family support, discharge planning, staff education, consultation and research. In this role you will provide direct support to patients cared for under the hepatology service. The APP will utilize advance practice skills obtained through the completion of a formal provider program. These skills include advanced levels of assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation of care. For this position, the APP will be responsible for functions related to the clinical care and management of hepatology patients. The APP is also responsible for planning, organizing, and directing patient care efforts in collaboration with medical and surgical physicians and other team members.
Essential Job Functions
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, comprehensive physical examination, and psycho-social assessments.
- Differentiates normal and abnormal variations for all body systems.
- Assesses patient and family adaptation, coping skills and the need for crisis or other intervention.
- Accurately interprets diagnostic tests.
- Analyzes multiple sources of data in making clinical judgments and in determining the effectiveness of a plan of care.
- Develops problem lists with associated differential diagnosis.
- Identifies educational needs of the patient and family and assists with teaching.
- Incorporates assessment findings into a plan to direct patient care.
- Formulates a plan of care in collaboration with the patient, family, physician, nursing staff and other member of the health care team which incorporates health care maintenance, discharge and follow-up care.
- Plans and implements appropriate pharmacological therapies.
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocols and standardized procedures for nurse practitioners.
- Initiates referrals based on patient and family need.
- Seeks appropriate consultation dependent upon patient health care needs.
- Accurately presents and documents the database, impression and plan of care.
- Promotes, has knowledge of and utilizes appropriate patient care protocol relating to the physical, psychosocial and developmental needs of adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients.
- Participates in research projects in the practice area.
Nurse Practitioner (NP) Required Qualifications
- Master's of Science in Nursing required
- Current and/or eligibility for State of Illinois RN and APN licensure/registration required
- Must be certified as a Nurse Practitioner by the American Nurse's Credentialing Center or American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Must have or be able to qualify for Illinois and DEA prescribing numbers
Physician Assistant (PA) Required Qualifications
- Completion of an accredited (Physician Assistant) educational program required
- Certification by the National Commission on the Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) required
- Current and/or eligibility for State of Illinois licensure/registration required
- Certification in ACLS required
- Experience using automated IS including but not limited to: keyboards, computer terminals, telephones, battery-operated devices, heat-copying devices, and automated dispensing machines.
- Job Type/FTE: 1.0, Full-time
- Shift: Day, 4x10's
- Unit/Department: Cardiac Surgery, Bloodless Program
- CBA Code: Non-Union
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Apply on company website