Join UChicago Medicine, as an Electrophysiology Technician II in the Electrophysiology Department.
As an Electrophysiology Technician II and under the immediate direction of an attending physician; you will assist in diagnosis and treatment of cardiac diseases in the Cath/Electrophysiology labs.
In this role, the Electrophysiology Technician II is responsible for specialties include advanced electrophysiology device placement/implantation, ablations (including 3 dimensional mapping of complex arrhythmias), cardiac event monitoring, and cardioversion. Operates physiologic and radiographic equipment while working in an invasive procedure area. Collaborates with all disciplines for well-coordinated care. Prepares patient for the procedure by performing assigned tasks (i.e. scrub, recording, circulating). Assists with other activities that will facilitate effective/efficient use of the resources in the pre and post-procedure phases..
Essential Job Functions
- Surgical Assist: assist Cardiac Electrophysiologist in the performance of invasive surgical procedures related to intra-cardiac defibrillators and pacemakers, sets up sterile table, assist in the application of sterile drapes, hands sterile instruments and sutures to the physician during the procedure and performs after-care of surgical instruments. The surgical assistant provides aid in exposure, hemostasis, and other intraoperative technical functions that will assist the surgeon to carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
- Cardiac Device Specialist: responsible for the interrogation and programming of pacemakers, ICDs and CRT devices for a complex and diverse cardiovascular patient population. Identifies and seeks appropriate therapy for basic and complex arrhythmias and device malfunction.
- EP Lab Specialist: assist Cardiac Electrophysiologist by setting up and operating specialized equipment to include: a physiological data recording system and related computers, programmable stimulators, and various generators (e.g., cryo-ablation, RF, and microwave ablation) for ablation procedures. In addition, the EP Lab Specialist analyzes electrocardiograph data, perform program stimulation of the heart, induce and terminate cardiac arrhythmia by overdrive pacing or DC cardio version, apply energy to catheters for purposes of arrhythmia ablation.
- EP Cardiac Mapping Specialist: Tech IIshould understand the functionality and the application use of the 3D mapping systems however is not expected to assist the Cardiac Electrophysiologist in the creation of 3D maps.
- Radiological Assist: assist EP Physician with acquiring radiological images to ensure proper placement of catheters, devices and leads.
- Cardiac Sonographer: assist Cardiac Electrophysiologist in obtaining echocardiography images by operating the ultrasound machine and performing two-dimensional, M-mode, pulsed wave, continuous wave and color flow Doppler imaging.
- Cardiac Catheterization Specialist: Tech II should begin to develop familiarity and knowledge on IABP placement and operation, power injector, temporary pacer and balloon catheter placement and recording of hemodynamic pressures.
- Two to Three years of experience in an invasive cardiac procedure.
- Three or more years of full-time experience in cardiovascular medicine.
- An active Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification is required.
- An active Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certifcation is required.
- An active Registered Cardiac Electrophysiology Specialist (RCES) certification is required.
- Proven visual acuity, manual dexterity & accuracy is required.
- Thorough knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the cardiovascular system is required.
- Must demonstrate independent judgement in the management & utilization of specialized EP equipment.
- Catheterization or Electrophysiology experience is preferred.
- Job Type/FTE: Full-time
- Shift: Day
- Unit/Department: Electrophysiology
- CBA Code: Non-Union
- Click here to learn more about UChicago Medicine
- Click here to learn more about our benefits
- Click here to explore other career opportunities at UChicago Medicine
Why Join Us?
We've been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We're in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you'd like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we're doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply on company website