Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system, UChicago Medicine, as a Chief Flow Cytometry Technologist in the Hematology Lab. As a Chief Test Development Technologist, you will support flow cytometry testing. The flow cytometry area within the Clinical Hematology laboratory refers to a method specific subset of testing that principally supports the Cancer and Transplant service lines. The Chief Test Development Technologist will provide the knowledge and expertise required to ensure the flow cytometry testing maintain technologic advancements and ensure continued growth in test offerings. This role will spend 60% of time on bench performing patient testing and 40% of time off the bench. clients.Operating within UChicago Medicine's Department of Pathology, we provide reference laboratory testing to various related and unrelated health care entities, managed care organizations and non-affiliated hospitals, outpatient clinics and private physicians' offices. We offer a full range of diagnostic services.
**$10,000 Sign On Bonus Available**
In addition to performing a wide range of clinical analyses in the flow cytometry section of the hematology laboratory, the Chief Test Development Technologist will be responsible for section technical guidance including quality control, instrument maintenance, instrument and test method development, and test validation and implementation. They are expected to work collaboratively with colleagues for process improvement projects, staff training and maintaining technical competency. Operating within UChicago Medicine's Department of Pathology, we provide reference laboratory testing to various related and unrelated health care entities, managed care organizations and non-affiliated hospitals, outpatient clinics and private physicians' offices. We offer a full range of diagnostic services.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides specialized support in the development, evaluation and implementation of new clinical laboratory procedures, equipment and processes. Furnishes continued technical support after clinical implementation
- Assures that procedures for the preliminary preparation of specimens and other testing materials are observed by all staff and that procedures for the proper storage of specimens are followed when those specimens cannot be analyzed immediately
- Supervises procedures designated under CLIA 88 standards as highly complex and knows all responsibilities necessary to perform these procedures with the highest level of quality, as outlined in the laboratory procedure manual
- Coordinates the maintenance and is responsible for the acquisition of adequate stocks of reagents, standards, control materials and other supplies required for the performance of testing at assigned workstations
- Reviews on a regular basis quality control data, maintenance logs and patient test results and takes appropriate actions on observations not consistent with laboratory policies and procedures, brings problems directly to the attention of personnel involved
- Assists laboratory staff in the proficient and safe use of all equipment necessary for the completion of all duties and responsibilities by following all maintenance, safety, and quality control policies and procedures
- Works with the director to ensure that all procedures, methods and processes are scientifically and technically accurate as well as appropriate and cost effective
- Provides lead support in the development, evaluation and implementation of new clinical laboratory procedures, equipment and processes, interacting directly with personnel from other departments or from outside the institution when necessary
- Updates and maintains written laboratory manuals for testing procedures in accordance with CLIA standard 493.1211, maintains documentation of laboratory and hospital policies, and communicates updates and changes to appropriate staff
- Oversees day to day operation of laboratory and testing personnel and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements as well as institutional and departmental policies and procedures, maintains and reviews records of proficiency testing and quality assurance
- Ensures adherence to all regulatory requirements and the maintenance of all necessary documentation; prepares the laboratory for inspection by outside agencies
- Coordinates and maintains records of training, orientation and ongoing continuing education of laboratory personnel, students, pathology residents and others, ensuring that each is familiar with the organization and the policies and procedures of the institution and department
- Acts in a consistently professional manner while conducting all duties and responsibilities and wears clothing that is appropriate for conducting those duties
- Performs other duties as requested by senior management.
- Must satisfy CLIA 88 qualification requirements for general supervisor that oversees testing personnel performing high complexity testing.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in clinical laboratory science, molecular biology, or related field of laboratory science (biology, microbiology, chemistry, biochemistry, physics) from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum of six years prior laboratory work experience required for individuals with a bachelor's degree,
- Demonstrated subspecialty expertise, knowledge or training as may be deemed appropriate for the laboratory section.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of flow cytometry and conventional laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and graphical computer programs.
- Knowledge and ability to use laboratory hospitals information systems.
- Medical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Technologist (ASCP, AMT), or Specialist in Cytometry (SCYM (ASCP)) (or eligible) Highly Preferred
- Ability to use and understand basic statistical concepts and methods that are commonly utilized in clinical laboratory science
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with individuals at all levels
- Ability to stand, stretch, and bend for majority of time worked; ability to lift up to 30 pounds; exceptional organizational ability; ability to work in stressful situations; attention to detail mandatory
- Job Type/FTE: Full Time (1.00)
- Shift: Days
- Unit/Department: Hematology Lab
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Apply on company website